Native DSD on Chord DAVE via Roon ROCK?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon ROCK v1.0, build 227
NUC7i5BNH with 16GB of RAM and 1TB local SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Control and streaming via WiFi (TPLink), but discussing local files, here

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Connecting directly to a Chord DAVE via USB (Curious USB)

Description Of Issue

The Chord DAVE can handle native DSD up to DSD 512. I don’t see native DSD as an option, nor does DSD over PCM seem to handle anything over DSD256. Is there any way I can get a native DSD512 signal from my Roon ROCK to my DAVE?

DSD512 only possible using Chord’s ASIO driver - which means Windows only…

Yes with a Windows Roon Bridge in between… Or putting Windows on your NUC and running Roon Server (that means no more ROCK).

It’s there in your manual at the bottom…

1 Like

In addition to DSD512 requiring the Windows ASIO driver, note that the Chord doesn’t actually do DSD. Internally, it converts it to PCM and then plays it as PCM, as their FPGA logic only understands PCM. So you might as well just let Roon do the DSD->PCM conversion for you. Or, if you are upsampling, just upsample to PCM instead of DSD.

1 Like

Very helpful - thank you!

1 Like

Understood - thank you!

Not correct - Dave is the exception in the current Rob Watts DACs when used in DSD+ mode…

1 Like

Pricey way of getting DSD :blush:

1 Like

Plays PCM too though :smile:

Nobody said it was a ‘DSD only’ DAC … just need to try to share accurate info for the people asking questions.

People can use the DAC however they like.

Playing both PCM and DSD without fear DSD will be decimated hehe

1 Like

All true but it still costs more than every piece of electrics in my house, including the fridge !!
:money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

1 Like

They come up used for a pretty decent price.

About half the cost of a new Toyota Yaris if you’re lucky ! :smile:

1 Like

It’s a pricey way of getting PCM as well :wink:

But boy does it sound good when it comes out the other end!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.