Native DSD playback strategy not available on macOS

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini; M1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Sabaj A10D 2022 version; connected to my Mac mini using USB; USB:UAC2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Native DSD playback option isn’t available, DPS volume is set to fixed, and I have no problem with DoP.

Sabaj has advertised on their website that the A10D supports native DSD512 through XMOS. Also, their user manual says no driver is required for OSX10.6 or later.

Anyone can help me with this issue?
Thanks in advance

macOS CoreAudio does not support native DSD playback; it’s as simple as that.

Thanks for clearing that up!

1 Like

That sucks to know. I bought a Mac Mini today because my CD Library workstation finally needs updating. I use a Nucleus+ in the main rig for DSD files, but this is a confirmation I wasn’t hoping for being a new Mac Mini owner.

As long as your DAC supports it, there’s no difference between DoP and native DSD, as DoP is just a way to send DSD disguised as PCM.

Yep. There is no difference between native DSD and DoP, but subjectively, there is a difference of DSD64 and PCM…for me.

Yeah I know, I was trying out some dsd512 album I bought today, but the dac only support native dsd512 and DoP up to 256. I guess I won’t hear any difference between them tho, but I thought Sabaj is false advertising this dac, good to know it’s not their fault :slight_smile:

It’s not false advertising there’s a full stop after the DSD words then it mentions the operating systems it supports so the two aren’t linked.

You can always get a small Windows PC, run Roonbridge and the DAC Windows drivers if you want to get native 512 DSD. There are ones for about 150 usd that work great as an Endpoint.

Dsd only works in fixed volume mod (DAC mod) maybe that’s the issue?
My Smsl D300 plays DSD512 (upsampled in Roon) just fine. MacBook Air M1

You’re using an RPi as endpoint, which runs Linux, not MacOS.

Isn’t this only a concern if the Mac is used as an enpoint?

Just a friendly piece of advice: don’t buy DSD512.

Yes but the OP is using a Mac as the endpoint.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.