Networking Gear & Setup Details

Freebox Delta, D-Link DGS-105 Switch 5 Ports, Gigabit Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M, USB

Number of Tracks in Library

28600 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi,
I have just purchased a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M which I have connected to my ROCK server via USB.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the “Native” option to read my DSDs. Playback of these only in DoP or PCM.
I bought this DAC for its native DSD support.
Do you have a solution to this problem?
Is this a known known?
If so, will you are you going to remedy it in the near future?

Hello Chris,

You might review the two threads below with similar issues. The issue is your DAC used with a Linux OS.

And more recently discussed here

As mentioned, DoP is native but the encapsulation lowers the available resolution. So, if your DAC can do 512 native then DoP will limit it to 256.

If you want to get to that 512 resolution with that DAC, then you will need to be running Windows and the DAC Magic driver. You can do that two ways, replace ROCK on that NUC with Windows, or, get a small PC to setup as a network endpoint that is running RoonBridge and the Windows Drivers.

Rock is Linux based and may not have the required drivers.
Although this link talks about a sonore the general principals apply.

Thank you for your answers.
I will contact Cambridge Audio support and ask them if they can provide their driver for Linux. So that the developers can integrate it into the kernel.

There isn’t a need for a Linux driver, but a kernel patch (it’s only a change one file to add the CA will handle DSD native and then a recompile of thd kernel) is needed.
Rock itself uses normally not a current kernel, but if you’ll use as endpoint something like Ropieee, you’ve a better chance that here your DAC will supported in the near future.

1 Like

Can’t the ROCK developers quickly patch and update its Linux kernel to support the DacMagic 200M?
At the moment, I don’t plan to use a Raspberry Pi to play my DSDs.

Which is a no go. I take it you didn’t read the second link I posted which was included a response by the writer of Ropiee about the DacMagic specifically. I"ll repeat it.

If you read the second link I posted, for some devices, it is not as simple as just making a kernel patch. As the author of Ropiee posted

Short answer: No.

Longer answer than no:

See all the answers above.
There’s only one party here that can fix this: CA.

I’m waiting for an answer from Cambridge Audio support, I’ll let you know here…

I already know the answer. It has been asked before.

I have just received a reply from Cambridge Audio:
"I have spoken to our engineering department.

The solution here would seem to be for Roon to update their Roon Rocks to a Kernel version which supports native DSD playback via USB DAC.

Unfortunately, we ourselves cannot do this - it would have to come from Roon’s end.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause."

Linux is open source. Please tell them to provide a link to the source file that they know and tested to support this operation on this model of USB DAC. They can also provide a link to kernel patches they prepared or a third party prepared that they tested to work correctly on this model of USB DAC. If they are unable to do either of the above, please provide the kernel version from an open source distribution that they tested to support this operation on this model of USB DAC. (Only) If it truly exists, then those of us who prepare the kernels can integrate such support.

1 Like

This can’t be done.
I would be happy to do this, but from what I’ve seen this requires a firmware change on their end.

Another vendor who does not take responsibility :roll_eyes:

Cambridge Audio’s latest answer:

“I have had another response from engineering.
They came back to me with the following information:

As far as I am aware, we do not have any links to source files or kernel patches, nor do we specifically advertise Native DSD support for Linux distributions.

If we wanted to offer this feature, I presume it would require a considerable amount of Engineering resource. I will put forward a proposal in the DM200M feedback and suggestions channel that I have access to, although I cannot guarantee your suggestion will be implemented.”

Support for native DSD playback is clearly not a priority for Cambridge Audio. If this feature is implemented, it won’t be for tomorrow. :roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.