Need advice for a new DAC or DAC/streamer

a nuc directly to a dac is not a great choice, better to use a streamer, with a separate lineair powersupply

Matrix Audio Element X (or other models) are highly recommended. Very happy with mine, used with Roon since June 2020.

This is pure superstition, I’m afraid. A NUC with USB out to a USB DAC works well. I’m not sure where this kind of idea originates, though there are snake-oil companies selling all kinds of unnecessary audio frobs, and they spend more money on marketing than engineering, sometimes.

I’m basing my opinion on actual measurements of a NUC used with two different DACs, one USB-powered, one separately powered:

Despite the Geek Out [USB-powered DAC] plugging directly into the computer’s USB port, including what should be a much noisier HTPC machine, there was actually no evidence that this was any more noisy than a low-power ODROID, or the NUC or the battery-powered Surface Pro laptop.

As for using the NUC6i5SYH as an audio player connected to an asynchronous USB DAC, as you can see, it works well and measures well. [
] At no point with bitperfect playback settings did I notice any change in sound quality between the software players, local SSD playback, or off the gigabit ethernet network.

And if you do decide to go with a separate streamer, no need for that linear power supply – superstition again. Just use the power supply it comes with.

If anyone knows of any actual measurements that support either of these ideas which I consider mere superstition, please let me know – I’d like to look at them.

Did you decide? Bit late but

The NUC RPi debate depends on where your Roon Core NUC is physically ,also on if there is actual physical noise , fan etc in your listening rom

if it’s local to the DAC connect USB direct, game over

if it’s remote connect to router by Ethernet, then get a RPi with Roipeee connected to network with Ethernet then USB to DAC from there

If later you decide against it you have spent <$100 for the Pi and it can be reused anywhere

1 Like

What is the difference between connecting the Roon Core directly to the DAC with USB and a RasPI connect directly to the DAC with USB ?

If the NUC connect to DAC make noise then why the RASPi connect to the DAC will not make noise and be better ?

I suppose the Pi is theoretically a smaller “lighter” lower-power machine that theoretically will have less EMI. But I think your supposition is abolutely right – no need for that separate endpoint unless you’re unhappy with the direct USB connection’s sound.

Here is the feedback I promised on the DENAFRIPS Pontus.
I took delivery back in December (2020) and I am super happy.

My system is as follows:

Source : Innuos Zenith MK3 running Roon with Squeezelite integration. Connected to DAC via USB. Most of my sources are FLAC 16/44.1 resolution.
DAC : Pontus connected via XLR to pre-amp
Pre-amp : PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell pre-amp/dac (SGCD) (The internal dac is bypassed when playing via the Pontus)
Power amp : PS Audio S300
Speakers : Wharfedale Linton Heritage 75 (= 3-way large standmount)
Interconnects : Audioquest mid of the range cables and good quality power cables.
Headphone amp : Topping L30 connected single ended.
Headphone : Sennheiser HD6xx + Meze 99 Noir

The Pontus turns up everything a notch or 2 compared to the SGCD (sorry PS Audio). The changes are subtle but they are there:

• Bigger sound stage: wider, higher and more depth.
  • Better base: better - more controlled base.
    The Lintons have ports in the back and should really be ±50 further from the wall (the front baffle is currently 70 cm from the back wall). With the SGCD I had to put a sock in the back port because it sounded mushy at higher volume. Not so with the Pontus.
  • You really get a good sense of the room / space where the recording was made.
  • Headphone listening : SQ on the HD6xx really improved significantly. Not sure how much comes from the Pontus or from the L30 (compared to headphone output on the SGCD)
  • Overall the music sounds more relaxed. No fatigue and you want to continue listening and you want to turn the volume up.

For me the Pontus is and end-game dac - I can happily live with this unit for the foreseeable future. There are certainly DACs which will score and perform better, but the Pontus gives me the feeling I am getting the most of my system and that I can enjoy my music without constantly wondering “what if
”

I highly recommend the Denafrips Pontus as it delivers excellent value for money.

4 Likes

I fully agree with you, Marc, about NAD C658 qualities. I have also used Lumin U1 mini and sound performance is not better than NAD’s!

Well I can tell you when I removed my Bryston BDA-3 from directly connected to PC that was my Core to the Lumin u1 mini it was a notable difference.
The wife came down and said honey what did you buy now? I keep wanting to look behind me are the rear channels on? No dear just the mains.

I then swapped the Roon core to another computer on another switch (without POE) and there was some improvement again (could have been breakin on Lumin). Have now run cables back to this switch for all devices that are endpoints, (play network audio). (All switches are connected via optical fiber)

Interestingly enough the Lumin continued to improve for a good 300 hours. I would really like to reduce my 8’ stereo stand LOL but why mess with a good thing.

Highly recommend the BDA-3 Lumin combo, which I have replaced putting an order for the BR-20. Going to hold onto Lumin and see how it compares
then Bryston announces the BR-20 won’t do home theater bypass. Stuck without Pre-Amp and DAC now. Ouch

So in true Bryston form James offered to let me use a BDA-3 until I take delivery of BR-20 with working HTBP. Will of course lay out cash, worthy investment I think.

Can tell you going back to an Allo Katana with Shanti (BDA is sold) is making me miss the BDA feels like I lost a friend.
I should add that the Allo is a good place to start especially for someone just beginning. It cannot do the imaging and depth of sound-stage while staying transparently the BDA and sounds like the BR-20 does.

1 Like

Just a thought. If you want something musical, have you thought about going for the Schiit Bifrost 2 multibit DAC with a Saga + preamp? Add that either to your NUC or a Pi4 (this is what I use). You don’t have to use the tube buffer in the Saga either, but it gives you options to tune things after with different tubes.

Schiit offers returns within 15 days at a 5% restocking fee.