Need advice please with HEGEL

@Rockhound :open_mouth:

1 Like

I admit my >60 YO ears may not be SOTA analytical equipment :rofl:.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about that, man. Itā€™s about the fact that you are missing hell a lot of a fun! Literally!

If you have previously preferred DXD to DSD upsampling, the next time you try DSD upscaling with Roon, try setting linear phase, precise, 7th order CLANS in Roon DSP Engine, and enable Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator to the highest DSD rate your endpoint supports.

Those settings are subjective and superiority cannot be determined for oneself without listening tests, but instead of telling you to try 16 combinations, for your case I suggest starting with those I mentioned. For people who prefer MQA sound signature, they should start with minimum phase smooth.

3 Likes

Hey Peter, a few of us were wondering how itā€™s going with looking into adding Tidal connect to the T2. The threads on your usual forum has gone quiet for a long while now

Any updates you could share? Or blink twice if youā€™re under NDA

1 Like

Anyone interested in a room bridge made from a raspberry pi then?
Iā€™m working in IT with over 15yrs experience and may be able to provide the complete setup of a roon bridge with a raspberry pi and hifi\dac hat for anyone interested.
Iā€™m just getting started with roon and in the process of upgrading my gear from entry level and I lean towards hegel.

I purchased my H390 earlier this year in the hope that Roon would be available in the near future. For those who have waited for over a year+, you have my sympathy.

My question is if the Roon implementation is further delayed a considerable amount of time (or worst-case that it never happens), what is a reasonable replacement path that would be commensurate in quality to the H390ā€™s amplifier section?

Separate streamer using H390 DAC? Something like a Sonore Ultrarendu or Lumin U1 Mini?

Separate streamer and a DAC upgrade? Say something like a DENAFRIPS ARES II or Pontus, Chord Qutest or RME ADI-2 combined with one of the above?

Combined Streamer/DAC like a Lumin T2?

1 Like

This is absolutely the best solution IMHO. I have a T2 and now an H390 and it is a fantastic combination. Lumin gear is really outstanding - yes it is expensive but the SQ is exceptional.

Regarding Roon Readinessā€¦ this is from a Hegel spokesman on their Facebook user group:

We still have strict Covid-19 restrictions in Oslo, so our office is closed and I havenā€™t spoken directly with our development guys for a couple of weeks. But the Roon development is mostly finished, and we will launch as soon as the products have passed certification. I have been using my H390 with Roon flawlessly at home for a while, but I know that Roon is really picky on details like how the info is displayed in the program and how functionality should be controlled, so there is apparently some fine tuning remaining. Consequently we donā€™t know exactly how long it will take before we can launch, but I can assure you that it will be as soon as possible.

1 Like

This is absolutely the best solution IMHO. I have a T2 and now an H390 and it is a fantastic combination. Lumin gear is really outstanding - yes it is expensive but the SQ is exceptional.

Thanks. I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you can compare the H390 with Roon implementation to your T2 (if/when it happens).

I will certainly compare the Roon implementation when it comes, but I do not expect it to be better than the T2 since feeding the T2 via XLR sounds better than using USB (i.e. using the H390ā€™s DAC). Donā€™t get me wrong, the H390ā€™s DAC is excellent, but it is not as good as the T2ā€™s.

Sounds good. Much appreciated.

So would you say the H390 is limited more by its DAC than the streamer side?

Sorry, not sure I can comment as I have not really used the streaming function other than a brief test of Spotify Connect.

Sounds good, but:

I havenā€™t spoken directly with our development guys for a couple of weeks

What about a phone call, an e-mail, Zoom or other stuff?
:lying_face:
Someone in that group is waiting for Roon readiness too:

7 Likes

Although the intention was to have a one-in-all device I currently run the H390 with my old SOtM SMS-200 powered by a linear PS which is really a good combination. So, I can be patient :wink:

Although the intention was to have a one-in-all device I currently run the H390 with my old SOtM SMS-200 powered by a linear PS which is really a good combination. So, I can be patient :wink:

My intention (all-in-one) as well; however, I am using a Sonore Ultrarendu with an Uptone UltraCap LPS 1.2. I am looking forward to the Roon implementation to see how it compares. Wish I could be more patient.

Same here, also the intention to use it as a all-in-one device as this could get WAF agreement.

The amp is part of the living room set-up and is not my system #1 so to speak. My wife and I made an arrangement that she could decide what the living room system looks like and I can do whatever I want in my mancaveā€¦ Good deal, but ROON has to function.

For now I got away with sticking a Pi with RoPieee on it behind the amp (HifiBerry Digi+ HAT to Coax/Cinch). But I struggle to keep it this wayā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Once itā€™s launched (and Iā€™ve been watching this thread for over a year), Itā€™s going to be interesting hearing from those of you who got Lumin T2ā€™s and similar, as to how close the Roon-ready implementation on the Hegel compares to those high-end stand-alone units.

I donā€™t think I appreciated how expensive the T2 is. Goodness.

1 Like

Iā€™m really looking forward to comparing these as well. That said, I also know itā€™s a forgone conclusion.

The DAC in the H390 is fantastic. Itā€™s up there with the chord qutest, rme adi-2 and other great sounding dacs at that price point. And thatā€™s great, you get a 1k+ sounding dac in an amp that is already worth itā€™s price for the amplification performance alone.

However it doesnā€™t compare to a 4K dedicated device, thatā€™s just a solid step up in performance and no amount of raat magic will bridge any of that distance.

I was super happy with the h390 dac performance for ages while using the Dali epicon 2s I had, sound was fantastic. It wasnā€™t until I upgraded to the epicon 6s that I could hear there was a sliver of dac performance missing that the 6s were capable of delivering.

And moving to the Lumin T2 delivered, big time.

So my personal experience is that the internal dac is more then sufficient for most setups. Right up to the point where youā€™ve acquired some really great and pricey speakers, at which point the 4K the T2 costs doesnā€™t look that crazy anymore

3 Likes