Need advice please with HEGEL

Completely agree @Chris_Chabot. I have hooked up my T2 to the H390 both via XLR and USB, feeding Dynaudio Contour 30s. There is no doubt that it sounds better via XLR - it’s not night and day but there is a richness and clarity to the sound (and a bigger soundstage) from the T2’s DAC that is not there with the Hegel DAC.

4 Likes

Same here. I went from a pair of Buchardt S400s to Harbeth Super HL5 XDs. I am now wondering where the weak link is in the chain to get the best value for money. DAC? Streamer? DAC/Streamer?

1 Like

Appreciate that the T2 sounds better and likely has a better DAC than the H390 but i’d also point out that the £4K Lumin isn’t solely a DAC - much of its cost will be the streaming platform and electronics etc, so its more likely a 2K sounding DAC…

Also happy that i’m going to demo the H390 in a couple of weeks. Hope i’m not disappointed - expectations are high!

Same here, I’ve connected my Hugo 2go with the H390. Sound very good…but still very curiouse when Roon ready Will Come…

The H390 with Roon>Tidal>H390>Airplay>Goertz Alpha Core>Dynaudio Heritage Specials leaves little more to desire. This rig reminds me of why I loved listening to music before I ever knew what hifi was, and after I spent a mint trying to get that sensation back. If Roon RAAT does better through the H390, I will be the happiest camper.

T2 is definitely on my list as I wait for the H390 Roon implementation.

Also thinking about the Lumin U1 Mini with say a R2R DAC. Perhaps a Denafrips Pontus II or Venus II would be a nice upgrade to the H390 DAC.

indeed the heritage special are marvelous…i immediately packed them up at my dealer after a 1h listening in 2020 and currently think i will never ever need another loudspeaker. this thing is magic

Steffen, believe me, I know what you mean. I had been wishing for years to find a system with the soul of my circa 1990s Naim and Epos ES14s, but with refinement. Indeed, I found what I was looking for.

For the first time in 20 years together, my wife will walk past or sit down to listen and ask about what is playing or ask me how to use Roon. No better endorsement of the system’s capability than that.

1 Like

Any update on roon implementation?
Is it up to roon now to test it and confirm?

As of 2 weeks ago this is the response I received from Hegel:

“I can unfortunately not tell you exactly when we will be launching Roon for H390, this depends on how long the final certification process will take and several aspects are outside our control. Our aim is to launch as soon as possible, but Roon has to do the final their approval and certification.”

This is just shameful. I bet they’re closer with the release of the new H3xx than they are with having roon ready certification.

2 Likes

We are nearing the end my friends :joy_cat:

1 Like

That is what i posted as well.
My H390 will be obsolete before RR is released, if it ever will.
RR for the H390 is not longer a focus for me.
I moved on and am happy with my choises…

3 Likes

Refering to dooms day i presume :face_with_monocle:

What did u go for?

For my Hegel i use a streamer to USB, being perfectly happy with it.
As far as the other equipment, that is OT (so obviously not Hegel).

1 Like

That is more certain :stuck_out_tongue:

yah, but i think nice to mention, so others can benefit

"…launching Roon for H390, this depends on how long final certification process will take and several aspects are outside our control…Roon has to do the final their approval and certification "

I wonder if the Roon team would agree with that statement.

1 Like