Need advice please with HEGEL

Interesting.

This is where I get hung up. We wait so long for these digital tweaks/upgrades/features in an expensive integrated, and then once they’re released, I wouldn’t be surprised if a new version of the hardware is introduced.

Separating them out – even if the streamer/DAC is expensive – does hold some appeal.

Exactly. When I was investigating my “last” amp, I decided to go with the H390 because of the promised Roon streaming function. Since I have made the switch to total streaming (all of my CDs have been ripped to FLAC), this made the most sense.

Given the delay, the better though more costly choice may have been to go H20 and something similar to a T2.

Of course, if the Roon implementation is successful and sounds great, all will be forgiven. :wink:

This is my fear. That, once it’s released (in 2023 or whenever) the Roon streaming in this thing is gonna be too outstanding to ignore, and I’ll sell my Parasound HINT6 (using a Pi + Pi2AES HAT for streaming) and get sucked into the H390 (or H39X) vortex.

The longer they take, the more I can procrastinate!

:crazy_face:

I have to agree with you. I pray that patience will be handsomely rewarded.

I sent another e-mail to Hegel and their response was as follows:

“It is unfortunately not possible for us to estimate how long this process will take, it could be weeks or still a couple of months.”

1 Like

I got fed up waiting too, so I purchased Roon endpoint Ultra Rendu, which I connected to my Hegel via USB cable.

The SQ was immensely and immediately improved.
Will never use Airplay (Wifi connection) again.

I Use iPad and iPhones for controls; only problem is I cannot control Volume up/down except through Hegel remote. Is a hassle.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Hegel country of origin

At least the red tree seems to grow

Is anyone using a Bluesound Node 2i with the Hegel? Any views? Especially the Hegel DAC compared with the Node’s?

I have a Topping D90 in my system. For Topping standards it is not cheap (around $700-$800). For Chord’s standards it is. For DCS Bartok standards (around $12000) it is a bargain.

According to most reviews the Topping D90 punches way above it’s price point and can compete with the big boys. Also according to Audio Science Review it is in the top of best measuring DACs around (if you are into measuring things). There are also reviews comparing it to Chord (just search Youtube and Google).

So do not dismiss Topping yet :slight_smile:

I have the Topping D90 connected to a Hegel H120 and in my ears it sounds superb. But YMMV of course.

2 Likes

I am new to the forum and wanted to share my experience with Roon and Hegel and also to ask what Roon DSP settings people are using with their Hegel H390/590s.

For a while, I had an Ayre AX-7e, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Sonore ultraRendu and Quad Z1 speakers. This was sounding really good until my dog (labrador retriever) knocked over my speakers and destroyed them and my amp in the process - unfortunately that is not a joke! I started over with a Schiit Ragnarok 2 and Dynaudio Special Forty speakers. This was not the best match and everything sounded fairly dull. Then I got an H390 and this was a much better pairing with the Special Forties.

My current optimized chain is etherRegen > Sonictransporter i9 > optical fiber > Sonore opticalRendu (Sonore 7V Power Supply) > Audioquest Diamond USB > Hegel H390 > Dynaudio Special Forty. I have paid a lot of attention to cables and power as well and all of these details have my system sounding really good. The magic is back and the music is very relaxed yet highly detailed without any “digital” sound.

I think the opticalRendu > USB sounds better than the H390 streamer, but not by a huge amount. I also don’t have to worry about when the Hegel Roon capability becomes available with this configuration. Going from Roon Core on my MacBook Air to on the dedicated Sonictransporter i9 was a nice improvement, so I am now a big fan of Roon running on a dedicated server.

Very happy with things now; however, at some point down the road, I think I would like to try a new DAC. As good as the H390 DAC is, I think there is even more improvement to be had with an external DAC. Something like a Bricasti M3 or Rockna Wavelight would probably be a significant step up - as they should be given the prices.

I know we all have different preferences, but have some of you optimized your Roon DSP settings for your Hegel amps? Are there any configurations you recommend?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I use the H390 together with Martin Logan Montis speakers. As for dsp, I have convolution filters made by Thierry from Home Audio Fidelity and I am very pleased with the effect they accomplish.

Likewise, I use an external DAC with my H360 but also wouldn’t be without Thierry’s filters.

Welcome to the forums @Dennis_Eastburn. I do not use any DSP (or volume levelling) in my setup as I have never felt it sounds better than the native files to my ears. I had an ultraRendu with my H190 which was very good but when it broke I bit the bullet and bought a Lumin T2 streaming DAC. This is in a whole different league SQ wise, and sounds even better since I bought an H390 recently. The DAC in the T2 is definitely better than the H390s, and the synergy between Lumin, Hegel, and Dynaudio (Contour 30s in my case) is fantastic. There are quite a few Lumin fans on here who I’m sure can attest to the quality of their gear - not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. I think there is a slight improvement in sound with upsampling to DSD 256, but I wouldn’t swear to it without listening some more. That is in part why I wanted to get some opinions on optimizing this aspect of Roon.

I can imagine a custom convolution filter to correct for room effects would be beneficial. I hadn’t been considering this, but I will look into what is possible from Home Audio Fidelity.

Sounds like we have similar setups. I am sure the Lumin is a great piece of gear. Good to know it works well with the Hegel.

The Lumin T2 is fantastic, and the Roon integration is very good. I now run it directly into a Parasound A21+ and then onto Amphion 3LS speakers, and so use the Leedh volume controls in the T2.

1 Like

Great to see another Amphion user :grinning: I really enjoy the Lumin/Hegel/Amphion combination.

No one is talking about Roon integration anymore. Is it ever going to happen?

Waiting patiently as well… it would be nice if Hegel was more pro-active and posted the status of the certification every few months…