Need advice re drop-outs when playing hi-res music

Hi - need advice re drop-outs when playing hi-res music (96/24, certainly on DSD64 and DSD128 files) on my Roon set-up. My set-up: Microsoft Surface Book with music files on attached USB hard disk - Ethernet - Apple Extreme router - Ethernet - Sonore Ultra Rendu - USB cable - Aqua La Scala DAC. I don’t think it’s a WiFi/bandwidth issue. Rather, when I playing hi res music files (96/24 or above, DSD) stored on my USB hard disk, Roon will often drop out/stop and display message (music files loading slowly, this may indicate a performance or hardware issue), esp if I am on a PC or ipad surfing the web or downloading stuff.

I suspect it’s my Apple Extreme router that is the bottleneck and that I should replace with a newer more powerful WiFi router, but wanted to get your advice.

Please note I had no such issues before getting the Sonore UltraRendu (which I have in another system in another home, so familiar with it). My earlier setup was MacBook - USB cable - Aqua La Scala DAC with MacBook also hooked up to Apple Extreme via RJ45. That would play everything including DSD128, but with less transparency and clarity versus using the Sonore.

Thank you.
Roy Ramos

I was not familiar with the Apple Extreme router and looked it up. The article I read indicated the those were so out of date that just about any current router would offer better coverage and performance. Based on that alone I would start by getting a newer better router and go from there. It is very possible that will resolve the issue your are experiencing and sounds like ti should be done anyway.

Welcome to the community.

Update: I use an ASUS GT-AC5300, ugly and expensive but installed in a central media closet it provides very good all round coverage and has 8 Ethernet ports. Wireless performance extends will outside the house onto the property. You didn’t ask for recommendations and there are lots of options. Just tossing one out.

Read also:

Excerpt from “Networking Best Practices”:

we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

1 Like

Hi @Roy_Ramos,

As the others have mentioned, we strongly suggest staying away from Apple Networking Gear, as we have seen quite a few issues due to these kinds of devices.

Is the issue the same if you try to bypass the Rendu and have the Scala connected directly to the Core?

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, no issues if I connect the Scala directly to the Core (Surface Book).

However, I’ve found a surprising solution - I use WiFi from Surface Book to Apple Extreme, which then connects to Rendu and then to La Sala. It sounds clearer, better, and surprisingly plays DSD128 or hi res PCM with no hitch.

I guess at some point, I should get a newer WiFi router? Any particular recommendations that have worked very well for other users? Thanks again.

1 Like

There is a discussion on this here from users and more generally here from Roon.

1 Like

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Did not realize how outdated the Apple Extreme is. I have an unused Orbi mesh WiFi router and will see if that works better, if not I will look also at the Asus wifi that was referenced.

2 Likes

Hi @Roy_Ramos,

Orbi is used by a lot of our Roon user-base, do keep in mind we have a suggestion for Orbi configuration under our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware on the Orbi.

1 Like

I’ve been using an AirPort Extreme for years without any problems whatsoever.

Thanks. May I ask how your Roon is set up with Apple Express - is it Roon core via RJ45 to Apple Extreme via RJ45 to Roon endpoint?

Ethernet from Mac to AirPort Extreme, Ethernet from AE to switch, Ethernet from switch to Devialet RAAT endpoint.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.