Network issues 24/192 Qobuz

Lately, like the last 6-12 months, anytime I play a 24 bit/192 kHz file via Roon through Qobuz the songs will fade out and give me a network connection error. This doesn’t happen on the same device directly (Bluesound Node) using Qobuz, and all of my files play via my hard drive work fine. It’s only the Roon/Qobuz connection having the issues. I’m about to kill my Roon subscription as a result. Anyone wise having these issues?

Difficult to know what’s going on unless you say more about how everything is connected. One common problem is having both Roon server and endpoint on WiFi. The Roon server can saturate WiFi when pulling a track from Qubuz, which competes with whatever is playing from the server to the endpoint. Roon needs to do this because it wants to have the track buffered as the endpoint asks for the next chunk to maintain a well-timed audio stream. Qobuz direct does not seem to do the same, which may be more robust but more prone to timing glitches that affect sound quality.

I don’t use WiFi and have everything running through a 1000 GB network. My modem reaches 938 download speeds on like 38 upload on the Xfinity speed test. It’s definitely not a network issue as best as I can tell.

Are the Roon server and endpoint both connected to the same router? Some routers are underpowered and can be saturated by the track download burst from Qobuz to the Roon server. This could be tested if you could throttle the router<>Roon server connection to 100Mb, which is plenty.

Yes, everything goes through the same Xfinity router. How do I perform that test?

I would open a new topic in Support where Roon Support will see it (though it will take some time), you are now posting in the discussion area. Then fill in all the details in the template you will see

It depends on your server operating system. I could probably do it on MacOS and (a bit less conveniently) on Linux, but I know nothing about Windows. It might be possible to do it on the router’s configuration Web page or Xfinity app, too, but I don’t know how to do it, as the first thing I do when I get Xfinity (I have it on 2 locations) is to replace Xfinity’s gear with my own cable modem and router.

It might also be possible to experiment with placing a simple unmanaged switch (I use Netgear GS105 for this kind of thing) in a Y configuration: router to switch, then both Roon server and Roon endpoint to switch.

In router, disable any kind of internet security, Netgear Armor (if using Netgear), firewall, QoS, bandwidth management.

Uninstall any kind of internet security you have on the Roon server.

If possible, try router-based VPN to a different country or region.