Network switches

You forget the most importend dogma of audiophilie: with audio the common laws of nature are working in different way.
The direction in AC current transmission is important. Even if bits are unchanged the result of a digital data transmission can be different. Digital audio data did not behave like other data. The human ear can measure things no device can …

3 Likes

The old “directional cables” myth. I’m sure EEs the world over roll around laughing every time they hear this :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m a month or so away from pulling the trigger on a pair of Stirlings (the Turnberrys were a little too big, physically, for my space) to go with my tube system.

What model do you have? Do you run bi-wired or just use jumpers. Do you use the ground post? How’s the bass? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

I’m being lazy posting a photograph - sorry!
Eatons with two small subs. The room is about 10 meters by 6 meters so they supply a bit extra. Once she saw the eatons in the room she said she would have been happy with the Arden’s. Bless her…….
I don’t bi wire, I thought about the grounding and forgot about it till you mentioned it.
The biggest difference I have ever made is the Dirac sorting the room.

3 Likes

Puh, very sad - this happens nearly every single time, taking over a thread with completely inappropriate messages :frowning:
Is this part of the „scientific excitement“ making fun with randomly phrases?!

No wonder that many guys leave threads like this with this childish behavior :roll_eyes:

I know! Imagine my confusion when I was told that my new fangled hdmi had a return on it. I have spent months swapping it round to see if
A - it makes the picture look better
B - the sound is better
C - the auto switching works faster.
The vision thing really played havoc with blind testing.

5 Likes

No. None. Nada.

Russ

I’m sure the wine industry and the world union of sommeliers would fight it tooth and nail. Just like any luxury product.

Do you believe in directionality of signal cables?

I’m not apologising for it, because it’s simply scientifically ridiculous to believe in directionality of signal cables.

1 Like

I do. At least that’s what Chord tells me when I put in a new Sarum Super ARAY mains cable.

I’ve tried to ‘reverse’ it, but I can’t seem to get the plugs to fit…? :laughing:

2 Likes

A mains cable isn’t a signal cable…

Sorry Graeme. You must have missed my piss-poor attempt at humour. Many apologies… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

If you put the plug on either end and stuck your tongue on the other I doubt you will find that the cable or the electric is directional.

2 Likes

Sorry for my piss-poor reading of your humour…:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

In an audiophile context, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between serious pseudo-audiophile ideas and humor.

A few years ago, when the first threads started here in the forum about audiophile digital cables, I posted a joke (if you want, you can still search for it here in the forum) and wrote what would come next and if I were hard-boiled enough, I would start selling audiophile switches for 1000 bucks (instead of 30-50) per unit. At the time, that was the wackiest thing I could think of. And look in which thread we post here today. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I can assure you that if you use a cable with a filter network on it (Transparent or MIT), it is directional. Whether or not these cables are worth the money is up for debate.

Also, many inexpensive SPDIF cables that do not have the proper intrinsic impedance have termination resistors on the receiving end to prevent reflections, and will not work properly if inserted backwards.

3 Likes

Mike, I don’t disagree there, and those are somewhat special cases

The majority of directional cables are marketed using phrases such as “copper crystal direction” or other such snake-oil terms and I quote:

“When cables are manufactured they do not have any directionality. However, as they break in, they acquire directionality.
Although the cable signal is an alternating current, small impurities in the conductor act as diodes allowing signal flow to be better in one direction over time. This effect is also called quantum tunneling, which has been observed in experiments over 25 years ago. Regardless of the purity of the metal used, there are still diode effects in all conductors. In addition, the insulation material will change when it is subjected to an electrical field.”
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Audiophool hyperbole, once again, attempting to redefine the laws of physiscs:

1 Like

[quote=“Markus_Hubner, post:48, topic:195524, full:true”]

Wow - this get‘s even crazier. Instead of spending just a thought about that and maybe getting oneself a chance to reflect and think about it,the „fun“ goes on. Well why not neglect this whole discussion at all and move right away to the „best jokes about audiophiles“ :man_facepalming:

Markus, scientists find this stuff is so funny because these claims are so obvioulsy false and fly in the face of centuries of scientific enquiry and experimentation by the pioneers in the fields of electrical theory and practice.

People such as Volta, Faraday, Tesla, Hall, Maxwell, Ohm, Kirchhoff to name but a few.

I’m not poking fun at audiophiles, but rather at the marketeers and con artists who make this stuff up.

If I claimed I had a Philosopher’s Stone in my possession which could turn base metals into gold or silver and bestowed immortality upon me, you’d all laugh me off to the nearest psychiatric hospital. Those claims, however, are no more fanciful than the claims made by the companies who peddle some of the snake-oil that is so pervasive in this hobby.

6 Likes

Plus there are no jokes at the expense of audioPHILES.