NetworkError: IPV4 Connectivity Issue with Roon Settings (ref#83DYKX)

Full form submission

Network Setup

My only router was provided by my ISP

ARC Status

ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

None of these are listed. It simply says "TIMEDOUT" or similar.

Here is what I get in Roon settings: {
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":404,"error":""},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"62.aaa.bbb.ccc","actual_external_ipv6":"null","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"}
}

Have you set up a manual port forwarding rule. You do not appear to have uPnP enabled and ARC connectivity will not work without one or the other being present.

See:

The trouble shooting page may also help:

Finally, the 404 error is often related to a DNS failure. What DNS servers are you using? The Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1[?]) servers are usually recommended by folks and are also mentioned explicitely in this Roon help centre article:

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from NetworkError: IPV4 Connectivity Issue with Roon Settings (ref#83DYKX):

Hi Wade,

Thanks for following up on my issue. I did access my Icotera i4882-71 router (from Telenor DK) and can confirm UPnP is enabled. To be on the safe side, I disabled/re-enabled then saved the settings.

Upon returning to Roon Arc settings within Roon I am still unable to access it, with the following error message:

{

“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“62.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}

}

It seems the UPnP is not recognised, and the router does not have NAT Port:

Let’s confirm you don’t have some rouge router, possibly, between your Roon and this Telenor DK provided device.

On that screen is “LAN”. That should show you the DHCP pool for your local lan. The first 3 octets (xxx.yyy.zzz) should match the first 3 octets on the Roon ARC settings as the “Roon Server IP”. If these are different it indicates we’ve got something else acting as a router between Roon and “the Internet”.

1 Like

Paging @Wade_Oram :slight_smile:

My thoughts lie along similar lines to those of @ipeverywhere.

If your ISP router has uPnP enabled, but your Roon server is reporting that the router it is connected to does not have uPnP enabled, then there are two possibilities - one much, much more likely than the other:

• The Roon server is connected to a router other than the ISP router.
  • The uPnP functionality of the ISP router is so broken that it looks like it is not there to the Roon Server.

I can’t see how the second of these could be true.

I think you, @Pascal_Longlade, need to give a lot more details of your network setup.

How is the Roon Server connected to the ISP router - detailing all devices in the connection path?

What is the ip address of your Roon Server?

What is the LAN side ip address of your Icotera i4882-71 router - the one you use to get to the Web admin pages?

You do not need to worry about any privacy issues associated with publishing these ip addresses. They are non-routable (unlike the 62.aaa.bbb.ccc ip address which is routable and has consequently been obfuscated in the Roon server diagnostic) and thus they have no value outside of your network and cannot be used from anywhere else.

3 Likes

Hi Wade,
Here are the requested info.

1. My Roon server is connected to my KAON Wifi6 extender from Telenor via the LAN2 port.
  2. The IP address of my Roon server is 10.0.0.203
  3. I access the Web admin page via 10.0.0.1
    Does it help locate my issue?
    Best
    Pascal

Not sure to understand what you mean.
In the web console, under Setting>LAN I see 2 sub windows, namely Main LAN and Guest LAN
Under Main LAN, the IP address is the one I mentioned to Wade (10.0.0.1)
Under Guest LAN, the IP address starts with 192.yyy.zzz
In the Roon app under Settings>Roon Arc, the only IP address I see is the one I mentioned to Wade (i.e. Roon server IP 10.0.0.203).
Am I missing something?

can you try connecting ethernet from server direct to your router (as roon’s recommendations) to prove that the wifi isn’t contributing to your problems…

Not quite. This basically just confirms that your Roon server is connected to a router (presumably your KAON WiFi6 extender) that is accessed at 10.0.0.1.

I was asking for the LAN side ip address of the router that manages the ISP connection - usually the router supplied by the ISP.

I suspect that you have two routers - the ISP supplied one - which will typically give out ip addresses in the 192.168.x.y range and the KAON giving out ip addresses in the 10.0.0.z range - but without knowing the LAN side ip address of your ISP router I can’t be sure.

If the KAON was purchased as a WiFi extender, it should have an alternate mode of operation usually called ‘Access Point Mode’ or ‘Bridge Mode’. Changing the KAON to Access Point Mode could be the first step in fixing your issues.

After you have changed the KAON to access point mode, you will need to force the attached devices (all of those devices that have been given an ip address in the 10.0.0.x range) to acquire a new ip address. One way of doing this is to turn them off and then back on again although, there can be other methods - e.g. on Windows, from the command line, do “ipconfig /release” followed by “ipconfig /renew”.

Finally, as alluded to be @PixelPopper, I would try to ensure that no WiFi link is involved in the connection from your ISP router to your Roon Server. It is OK to connect your Roon Server to the KAON by wire provided that the KAON is also connected by wire to the ISP router.

2 Likes

I have connected my Roon server directly to the router via ethernet and now Roon Arc works!
So it looks like my Wifi was the culprit. What would you recommend as my Roon server cannot stay where the Telenor router is (in the meter box area)?
Should I reset my Wifi extender and start over?

As said earlier, put the WiFi extender, which is currently configured to be a router in its own right, into “Access Point” mode.

However, you would still, ideally, use a wired ethernet connection between the ISP router and the WiFi extender and a further wired connection from the WiFi extender to the Roon Server.

If you use WiFi in the connection, then it can work but is not recommended and may give problems if the WiFi bandwidth is limited and there is other traffic using the WiFi.

If you do use WiFi, then I would be inclined to used WiFi between the two routers and wired to the Roon Server because the router will likely have a better WiFi antenna.

1 Like

@Wade_Oram has posted good guidance and I would recommend it to resolve your problems.

Best wishes…

1 Like