New core install crashes on start

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Win7, 64bit, i7-2679, 12 GB RAM, latest Roon build (downloaded Nov 23, sorry I can’t get the actual number from Roon as it crashes on startup)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not relevant

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant

Description Of Issue

I’ve just started a trial and installed Roon; trying to setup my PC as a core.

Roon crashes within seconds of startup. It did so after first installation and continues to do so after PC restart. I’ve allowed firewall access and checked graphics and other drivers are up to date.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Roon.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5f8d8675
Fault Module Name: StackHash_4e80
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24384
Fault Module Timestamp: 5c6e245d
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000bf302
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4e80
Additional Information 2: 4e80bebe692bfe989538f9ce515640b8
Additional Information 3: 31fb
Additional Information 4: 31fb494662943da8561e2f1c80c003e8

Try the 32 bit install.

2 Likes

Thanks. I downloaded the 32-bit installer and everything is working. You saved my day/week!

2 Likes

Often the 32 bit version works when there is a graphics problem, might be worth following up with support.

Thanks. Will do. I did update my graphics card (GTX 570M) driver before posting here (actually it was already up to date), but I may follow up for benefit of community and also I would ideally run 64-bit version.

Thanks again

1 Like

Hi @David_Pile,

Thanks for letting us know that the 32-bit version worked for you.
Can you please try to run this tool and see if it helps with using the 64-bit version?

1 Like

Hi, Thanks of the suggestion. I installed and ran the scan and it found no available driver or bios updates. (I have an old machine, but I’ve kept it up to date along the way).

Cheers
David

1 Like

I’ve been running the 32-bit version reliably for a day now, and really getting into the interface and features. The interface is a lot deeper than many seem to give it credit for; for example path filtering is really good.

Anyway, it started crashing again, same as before within seconds of start-up. Restart didn’t help. Instead of reinstalling, I tried running windows compatibility test; it (32-bit Roon) runs fine on my Win7 64-bit machine with Win XP SP2 compatibility mode (although I note Roon is officially Win 7+ only).

Hopefully things settle down soon, otherwise I may just have to consider it a quirk of my system and get a new box. I’m so close to getting a lifetime sub after just using Roon for a day!

Well Win XP SP2 compatability mode present mobile phone control issues soon enough, and then also start crashing, but not at start-up; crashed after a few minutes.

Reinstalled 64-bit, and … i started up and is running (it has never done that before for me). Going to sleep now… fingers crossed.

Cheers
David

1 Like

Hi @David_Pile,

Do you have Roon scanning any of your storage directories under Roon Settings -> Storage?

We had a similar report to yours where on Windows 7 x64, Roon had an issue importing .TIFF image files associated with the storage location.

Are you by any chance trying to import .TIFF files into Roon when the crashes occur?

Hi @noris,

I did initially setup to Roon to scan one of my music folders (with CD rips organized within subfolders). I’ve scanned that initial folder (and subfolders) for *.tif and *.tiff and there were none within.

64-bit install continues now to be stable for me overnight and all day today.

I added more folders for scanning earlier today (on 64-bit install). One of those folders does contain a Tiff image. I waited for all folders/files to finish scanning and still no crash. I closed and restarted Roon and still stable for the rest of the day.

I wondered if the 32-bit install was able to process something in the original scanned folder that the 64-bit version couldn’t (on my machine), so I removed the original folder (assuming it would remove all database entries (?). Then I readded that original folder again on the 64-bit version (32-bit version was uninstalled when it started crashing, but I kept the database/settings). Still no problems/crashing.

2 Likes

Hi @David_Pile,

Thanks for letting us know that the 64-bit install ended up being stable as well!

Since you migrated the database over, yes it is possible that the import completed on the 32-bit version and that database remained when you re-installed 64-bit on top.

In any case, thank you for letting us know that the issue has subsided and if you need further assistance, please just let us know and we can take another look.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.