New iPad Pro 11" will it work in landscape and portrait for Roon?

So it’s announced - 11" iPad with liquid Retina display.

• Liquid Retina display
  • 11-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi‑Touch display with IPS technology
  • 2388x1668-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
1 Like

I thought of putting up a spoof question about this, as roon obviously cannot possibly know now on an unreleased product but thought it would be too silly…
Life imitates art.

well it comes down to screen specs as far as I know… with an extra .25mil pixels maybe its enough…getting the 11" over the 12.9 might be a winner if its supported on portrait and landscape

1 Like

@Danny any thoughts on the 11" yet Danny?

The answer is in Danny’s comment you quoted above. For current Roon to run in portrait, it need a resolution of 1024 pts. on the short side.

That part of the 11” is unchanged – and still just 1668 px. / 834 pts, which is insufficient. The extra screen real estate is because the aspect ratio changed (the long side gained pixels) from 1:1.33 to 1:1.43.

So, in short: it won’t run Roon in portrait. Needless to say I still ordered one. :smiley:

Pity…I’ll probably get one too tho

The big question for me is … will it power usb dacs?

It can charge an iPhone…so maybe…if you can find a usb c dac or don’t mind a bunch of dongles perhaps

This one should do:

A USB powered DAC might actually work, but there’s no telling until someone has tried, I’m afraid.

How about just this… going from the new ipad pro to say a meridian Explorer2 ?

An Explorer 2 is Mini-USB, not Micro-USB, IIRC.

I can’t find much about the power specs of the iPad Pro USB-C port yet. My iPad will arrive this wednesday – but I don’t have a port-powered USB DAC here for testing.

Yes absolutely. I have some problem linking to the correct page. Should be OK now.
I’m also getting the new ipad and will be sure to try :wink:

It’s unfortunate that portrait orientation does not (yet?) work. Hopefully a future roon update will solve that… before the arrival of the ipad pro3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just hooked up this one to my new iPad Pro 11 inch (need HDMI for business presentations):

USB worked fine with my DragonFly Red. This does not say anything about DACs demanding more power (the DFR worked fine with previous iPads as well because of its low power demands) – but hey, it’s something. :wink:

1 Like

The Meridian Explorer² has worked for me with an iPad (6th gen) and an Apple Lightning to USB 3 adapter when powered simultaneously. So that particular DAC should also work with the iPad Pro 11" together with the adapter @RBM linked to.

I’m now using a Dragonfly Red and ordered Audioquest’s new DragonTail USB-A > USB-C dongle to go with the new iPad Pro.

1 Like

I just hooked up my OPPO Sonica DAC and worked right off the bat…happy days likewise an original V1.0 DragonFly no Issues, I’m guessing if you power it then you could hook up just about anything

I just got my 11” iPad Pro. RIP my Audeze Cipher cable :frowning:

I’m pretty sure I read the iPad can supply up to 7w on USB-C.

Say I wanted to spend up to $200 on a new DAC for my Sine headphones, what would be a sensible choice? (Assuming Audeze does not release a USB-C version of the Cipher cable.)

I got the new Third Gen iPad Pro 12.9" yesterday at launch. Roon does not work on Portrait on it. Just Landscape. My previous 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9" does (did rather, because I just sold it).

It sucks, but hopefully Roon will fix it.

I can confirm portrait mode does not work on the 12,9 2018 iPad Pro. It did work on my previous 2015 device.

I PM-d Roon yesterday. @support are working on it

2 Likes

Worse on the 11” there are black areas down each side where there is just wasted space, I guess this might be the different aspect ratio it has