New Matrix Audio mini-i 4 and mini-i Pro 4 Streamers

The mini-i Pro 4 comes equipped with a physical remote control while the mini-i 4 doesn’t.

1 Like

You can buy the remote control in ali express. 45 USD

1 Like

I own the original Element X and have been interested in the new features of the Element X2. Touch screen, HDMI Arc, better handheld remote, 12v trigger. But even after selling the Element X, the net upgrade cost probably would exceed $2K USD. So I’ve been waiting for something that offers all the features I want, with none I don’t need, for a more competitive price.

The Mini-i 4 (either version) provides most of those features for under $1K. No 12v trigger, no digital output. The Bluesound Node (X) has both, plus a subwoofer output, but without a touch screen (and with a different DAC chip). Am wondering if the Mini-i 4 wouldn’t sound just as good as the Element X to my ears, but with better functionality and a more compact form.

Did this ever get Roon certified?

No it hasn’t and almost nothing has in the time since the July announcement (the last update I could find on their website).

The Roon partner Matrix Audio page is here
https://roon.app/en/partners/111/matrixaudio

Thanks for the reply, I guess Roon is very backed up with certifications as I have heard elsewhere.

Yes I am waiting for my WiIM Pro plus to be certified as well, though it does work perfectly on Chromecast.

I have the Mini-I Pro 3 that I ordered the day it was finally certified and it has been a great device for me and never gave me a moment’s trouble. If the Mini-I Pro 4 had Chromecast as well I would probably get one, but I am with Darko that BT, Airplay and Chromecast are all required functionality now and I will not buy anything new that doesn’t have it included (or it would take a really good reason)

1 Like

Not really a roon specific topic but for those thinking about getting one. I have a mini review.

I have had my mini for a couple days so far. It is a beautiful little device. No questions about that. The screen is super sharp and has great contrast. It should be a better performing streaming and digital audio player than the node. The node as of right now is much easier to live with. The hdmi arc cec is only partially implemented as far as I can tell. The tv is only able to send volume commands and only if the mini i4 is manually switched over to hmdi. The node will switch to hmdi when the tv requests it and will wake and standby in my experience. The matrix app (on android at least) crashes regularly. There is no chance of opening the app and not having it crash at least once while you navigate around it. If you get a mini, be sure to get the remote to save yourself frustration.

Small issues that can be fixed with enough updates but still disappointing. I was hoping to replace an nr1200 with this and eventually replace other nodes when they get roon support. Probably going to hold off for a bit to see where the software lands

The good thing is it sounds incredible. Looking forward to experiencing it with roon.

I bought the mini-i Pro 4 this summer. The HDMI is actually an input only. Therefore it doesn’t have the ARC functionality (2-way communication). Really gross false advertising.

3 Likes

I have reached out with matrix. It is an ARC spec port. It does have cec as the tv remote can control its volume. As of right now matrix has the mini configured to take volume and mute commands from a tv along with sound and the mini can send power commands to the tv. I have told them that functionality is reverse of what most people want. No one wants their tv to power on from the mini. They said they will pass that feedback to their engineers. I suppose the idea of tv integration is still a new concept for some hifi companies. If they fix it, I will be prettt happy. If not I may look into the new eversolo that recently launched. After I can confirm it has the correct behavior of course.

Oh and you should try having your tv off and wake the mini. In my setup my tv will wake and pick the mini as its audio output device.

2 Likes

Thanks, Anthony. Looking forward to your Eversolo comments.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Do you have any news on the expected certification date for the mini i-pro 4 on Roon. I just bought it and I find myself quite disappointed that I can no longer use Roon,

Thank you and good day

Maybe today, maybe never.

1 Like

You can use it plugged directly to your core with usb or through cough airplay.

1 Like

It should be coming shortly. The element S got the Roon Ready certification just yesterday. Matrix Audio mentioned in their element S Roon Ready announcement that they are pushing Roon to speed up the mini 4 Roon Ready certification.

4 Likes

If approached MA will provide a software update making it Roon Ready via the Mini-i3 protocol. Don’t ask me how but it works.

I am not sure that is allowed, or at least not to be advertised. I think that was how Eversolo originally made the DMP-A6 appear Roon Ready. Roon were not happy.

But if I had bought an Mini-i pro4 I would be happy they that had done it, and as a very happy owner of the Mini-i Pro 3 I hope they sort the RR certification out soon.

Curious what you mean… what did Eversolo do? (I know Roon were not happy when eversolo claimed it was RR in the specs before it actually was, but not sure what you’re saying they did to make it “appear” roon ready. Was it not actually roon ready?

(No biggie, just hadn’t heard anything to this effect before.)

From memory they marked it as a Zidoo device that was certified as Roon Ready while it was awaiting certification. Allowing user’s to make use of it in Roon.

1 Like

The real question would be how the mini-i Pro 4 shows up on Roon Ready devices with this hack. As mini-i Pro 3 or mini-i Pro 4? If it is as mini-i Pro 3, then that would be clear infringement of the Roon Ready Certification protocol.