New Nucleus Titan?

This news…

Titan submersible implosion

I find it interesting they’re calling it a “server/streamer.” Is Roon going to say a separate streamer is no longer best practice?

At $3,600, I am out, regardless of whether or not they consider me the target audience of someone with a Nucleus+ and over 120,000 tracks. I will certainly not invest in more Roon hardware to make my Roon experience faster, as that is what they marketed my Nucleus+ as being. My motherboard died just after warranty was up, and that was another $800. If Roon becomes something primarily geared for the Mark Levingson crowd, then that will suck. I PRAY that 2.0 is around the corner which will make our experiences better and more reliable on existing hardware.

5 Likes

Possible, considering:

• Upgraded connectivity: two USB-C, two USB-A, and two audio-only HDMI ports.

Adding extra digital transports was never “best practice” in my book.

1 Like

@Collin_Riggs , Roon officially changed from “Roon Core” to “Roon Server” several months ago. Nothing has changed; Roon Server is (still) a “streamer”, and having your Endpoint(s) separate remains the best possible setup.

I’m not sure I understand the need for additional USB C unless A was removed. I also would love to see HDMI A as I2S and B with metadata capabilities. But happy to see Harmon putting funds into the product so quickly.

I’d like to see Roon at least give it a shot to make their hardware sound better than an inexpensive NUC. At $3600 it’s reasonable to expect as much. Auralic, Aurender, Innous, Lumin etc etc have all put effort into making computer like devices that sound better than a consumer grade computer. At least that’s their stated goal. Why can’t Roon do the same? A NUC in an even heavier case and a bit faster would be a disappointment at that price. And with Harman’s engineers in the hall, there’s no excuse for expensive mediocrity.

3 Likes

Actual pics here:
https://twitter.com/ecoustics/status/1744518313978540178

Roonlabs own twitter feed is silent on the matter.

4 Likes

Well a server is a server, I don’t understand the need for aesthetics, when really you should be sticking it in a cupboard somewhere. This is one piece of HIFI that defo does not need to be in the rack, adding to the noise, heat etc in that space.

I’ll stick with unraid on a server in my garage.

4 Likes

Well I guess you can always call it Nucleus Titanic if it fails.

10 Likes

Only if it sinks :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Without being rude , because I tend to agree with you BUT did you really expect status quo after the acquisition .

How long has it taken in design , manufacture and implementation to get the Nucleus Titan ready for market . Certainly not the few weeks since the acquisition exchange of money, it probably been in wings for a year or more . Just waiting to apply Roon (or someone else’s) software ?

This is no doubt one of many such changes.

1 Like

Not surprised just disappointed again.

2 Likes

Post Deleted

“Titan, starting at $3,699 base price (U.S.) is the only choice for those seeking a premium Roon server that promises a superlative Roon experience paired with breathtaking visual appeal.” :scream:. For this price I would want a service engineer sitting permanently next to the “Titan” to press the reset button when things go due south :rofl:. For a world where a lot of people are suffering from a so called “Cost of the living crisis” it seems to be costing more and more for the electronics to do a simple thing such as listen to music. This to me is style over substance and is totally over the top. Now if only i could buy on easy pay over three months :grimacing:.

2 Likes

They have been quite conservative in choice of materials for the top plate though. A big chunk of polished brass or silver/gold plated metal would provide a further premium option for those with even more money than sense.

1 Like

Do not forget the free tin of Brasso and polishing cloth you will get which will add further value :smile:.

1 Like

being a Roon can do no wrong boy and a business owner, one could think that since the Roon team has known for more than a year that their intel partnership was finished, they needed to find a new supplier and also redesign the nucleus. I figure maybe there was a cost to this R&D. The partnership with Harmon provides the needed funding that all of our subscriptions combined could not accomplish. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Well it is a money sink for sure. Nearly 4k for the base model… I’ll pass. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Mike the reality is that box could have been sat on harmons design shelf for years and offered as limp biscuit as part of the acquisition process. Rock run s on most any intel platform in my experience (not nuc) so actually I think they couuld have churned this out quickly.

I fail to see what looking at those renders would take a year to design. With sketchup and assuming some sort of micro ATX style motherboard I could design something and render it in a day.