New Nucleus Titan?

Oh I think that those are Titan prototypes. I think Roon Labs will be busy gearing up for production at the moment.

1 Like

ā€˜likelyā€™ā€¦ is that speculation or has Roon, Harman or any credible source actually suggested that might happen? I donā€™t think it takes a genius to understand what happens if you wholesale replace $1459 and $2559 SKUs with a $3699 SKU when there are plenty of high-value alternatives (diy and partners). Of course this would be great news for Roonā€™s h/w partners and maybe Harman just wants to focus on high margin / low volume hardware.

This whole topic is pure speculation, all will know is Roon has started marketing a new service device called Titan.

• No specification
  • No timeline
  • No indication if it replaces or augments the current line.

Watch this space I guess, ā€¦

1 Like

And in my opinion, no reason for it other than a fancier finish. What is so special about this other than a newer version of Intelā€™s NUC?

Looks are nice but the current Nucleusā€™s look pretty good already, so I would expect the Titan is also the latest NUC with top performance.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a statement product, to give prestige and brand recognition.
Itā€™s not meant to be a good purchase value.
Audio world is full of it.

7 Likes

Iā€™d cut Roon some slack here. In the middle of the sale to Harman, and with Intel transferring the NUC brand over to Asus, got to be a busy time. Maybe they had already paid for the booth and needed to mock up something to show in it. Software is tough to sell at a convention like CES. Letā€™s see what actually comes out in March.

5 Likes

A NUC 11 is cheaper and probably more capable.

Wait, is that a 2.0 USB below the a 3.0 (or higher ) USB?
Am I wrong to think that the Nucleus+ has two USB 3.0 (or higher, donā€™t know).

Any details on the Titan yet? Like what NUC itā€™s using?

1 Like

March, I think was said.

1 Like

Ale kto bogatemu zabroniā€¦ :grin: :grin: :grin:

Translation
But who can deny a rich manā€¦ :grin: :grin: :grin:

Reasonable if come with lifetime member.

i dont get all the hate. im not a roon fanboy but i do have a nucleus+ and other than restarting after a power outage, its played flawlessly. maybe those of you with buggy devices ought to try the roon product. also, streamer/server prices are insane, the titan still comes in below most of them and it looks way better than an off the shelf intel nuc 13.

2 Likes

Looks are subjective, my NUC is hidden, I cannot see it and so I consider that even better.
It works flawlessly.
If you want to buy the Titan, buy it, I donā€™t care and thereā€™s no hate. Hate is a word often misused.

Maybe hate is the wrong word. But I sense a lot of despise and a taste of this Ā“slam-all-expensive-gear-for-stupid-rich-peopleĀ“ attitude not accepting anything thatā€™s a dollar more expensive than cheapest naked motherboard tinkering solution.

I think this is very sad. People enjoying their tinkering gear and people willing to invest into something expensive should be on the same side feeling they both in their own way support a project like roon which is bigger than just a software or a hardware company. It is a way to explore and enjoy music in a way that is in my understanding way ahead of Spotify algorithms and charts.

Similar flamewars were arising around hi-fi and high end audio in the early 2000s. Sadly, it brought interest among common people for more expensive gear almost to a standstill. Let us not do the same mistake with servers and roon, please!

5 Likes

As Matt pointed out, the Nucleus is just a computer, a NUC it seems, not an audio device.

I question their value for money for what they do, for the non tinkerers, the same can be achieved by visiting a local independent computer store and have them build a NUC for you and install ROCK.
Support would be on the doorstep if you needed it for hardware failure etc, Indeed any competent store could deal with issues should the buyer move house, emigrate even.

This has nothing to do with high end audio gear which has the potential of making a difference to the sound we hear.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why one would be sad about this. (1) More expensive gear isnā€™t actually likely to be much better than standard mass-market gear, and (2) ā€œcommonā€ (do you mean poor? ignorant? what?) people probably have other more pressing ways to spend their money. Seems kind of like a win.

3 Likes

Because it is a divisive point between music lovers and roon users having rather a Ā“value-for-moneyĀ“ approach and those who are more into luxury. And I deeply believe these two groups should join forces whenever possible.

For potential Titan (or Nucleus+) buyers it is not about if this or that piece of gear is cheaper or better or similar in performance. They buy an overall experience, a perfect solution which is meeting their expectations, even if it is a completely subjective point or that they simply like the product or their wife would accept such as piece of equipment in the living room (and not a PC).

It is like buying a Patek Philipe for 50k and being told that the gold in that one is not worth more than 2k and any $1 quartz movement is more accurate. Might be both true from rational point of view, but luxury is not rational. And any devisive statement is more likely to fuel prejudice against the roon community as some kind of el-cheapo IT tinkerers eventually leading to such a target group feeling repelled. Exactly what we want to avoid.

Lots of high end audio gear is also pretty questionable in terms of audible difference. But I do not see a point in everlasting flamewars against irrationality if it would serve the common purpose more to have as many supporters as possible. There is enough of prejudice in the ultra high end community against servers/computers in general and roon in particular. An expensive and well-made server by roon should rather be seen as a product to meet these demands.

1 Like

Right. The craving for ā€œluxuryā€ seems to me more like an attempt to satisfy a deep-seated psychological imbalance of some sort.

Do we? I guess I donā€™t want to repel anyone; Iā€™d rather embrace them and help them see how theyā€™ve been misled.

Supporters of what?

Look, audio is a well-understood and not all that mysterious thing. The only thing all these various tinkering gadgets and the notion this is a ā€œhobbyā€ are doing is lending a gloss of respectability to ruthless hucksters out to strip funds from gullible, ignorant, and possibly emotionally damaged people. I hate to say it, but if you got rid somehow of the entire ā€œhigh endā€ of audio, all the luxury nonsense, weā€™d all probably be better off.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no flame war from me, as I wrote before, if someone wants to buy a Titan let them buy a Titan, I actually donā€™t care.

I could buy a Titan or nucleus if I wanted to, I choose not to do so because I see no value in it. I would need to either find a retailer in the UK selling them or buy direct from Roon, leading to a support nightmare if I needed help.
I want something I can either fix myself or get fixed locally and I can get that for less money, a lot less money.
Using a NUC has made it more affordable for me.

If youā€™re suggesting the Titan is a means of drawing in ultra high end users with more money than sense, I have no issue with that, a fool and his or her money are easily parted.