New Pi and tracks skipping

Sorry just to add , in the instructions above it says it will allocate it a new IP address…when the settings have been changed, but it doesnt…it just gives me the same IP address

PS I have learnt so much this afternoon …but still got nowhere :grinning:

1 Like

If it is using a new Mac address I would expect a new IP address, but it might possibly take the MAC address from the Pi, I am honestly not sure enough about that Steve sorry

This is what I ordered

This is where I may have went wrong…I assumed if it was the only dongle in the drop down menu that it must be the one

Ok an update for anyone who is interested.
Unable to get the Pi and dongle to perform any better.
For some reason my Wifi is very poor in the Office I work in. So before I go all the way and get a new data point with all of the cost involved I am trying a BT Wifi Disc that is compatible with my router. Its worth a try as I would literally be getting a new data point just for Roon as everything else works fine in my office.

Really appreciate all of the help over the last few days.

Steve I was going to ask you later how you got on.

If you have BT WiFi then the extender disc will hopefully significantly help.
If it has an Ethernet port then it might help even more by giving you Ethernet in the office

1 Like

If your IP hasn’t changed then the original WiFi is still active. A USB WiFi dongle should have its own MAC so should pull in a new IP.

1 Like

The Wifi speed to my lap top which is in my office is 72Mbps.
I investigated this and then realised when I got the information that I had no idea why I did it. :grinning: :grinning:

I just assume this is low

Work our 700 Mb for a CD streaming in 70 minutes , my maths says about 3 Mb per sec

Wi fi is more about interference than raw speed

1 Like

This is a strange hobby isnt it.
Now using the lap top as an end point. 2 days and no issues at all. Literally not a single drop out, no delay when searching through a track either.

1 Like

Steve good news are you using the Pi now or the laptop.
If the Pi that suggests that it is using the new USB WiFi dongle and that it is now having a positive impact.
All very interesting your ups and downs (at least for us) and frustrating for you

No its the lap top I am using.
Roon does not even recognise the Pi…it may be faulty.

My expectations went too high obviously :wink:

1 Like

My experience has been that Wifi interruptions en route to the endpoint tend to be short, staticky dropouts of the music. This happened to me all the time when I tried to play to a Wifi-enabled Android DAP, and was clearly a result of an inadequate Wifi antenna or chip in the endpoint device. It happened ANY time I was playing high bit rate music, regardless of the app, but happened more in Roon.

The skipping, I think, is different. I don’t know what causes it, but think about it: if the Roon core keeps supplying the same song, why would the endpoint skip to the next one? So I tend to think it’s more about Roon struggling to get content from outside than about struggling to get content to the endpoint.

Right now I am getting by with cranking up the QoS settings on my router for both the RoPieee endpoint and the ROCK server. Skips are rare but not unheard of. Eventually I may run some ethernet cable through the attic, though.

One thing I can report is that when I went from Spectrum Cable that was running at approx. 200 Mbps, to AT&T fiber that’s approx. 300, I stopped noticing the problem. But I haven’t been listening as much, and as I say, the problem is rare now.

1 Like

I have a BT Disc coming that I got second hand. I know this is not ideal but its worth a try.
At present using my lap top as the end point there have been no issues for about 4 days, crazy.

However I would prefer a Pi and ultimately even a dedicated network player maybe so this may need a more stable solution.

if so I will look at the Mesh networks (very expensive?) or I will get another data point wired into my office. I think I prefer this but it is dependent on cost.

That doesn’t explain why, in my case, rebooting the RPi fixes skipping.

If you haven’t tried a USB based wifi congee with antenna then I would do so. RPi wifi is notoriously bad. some dongles are not all they are cracked up to be either.

Mr Wizardofox can you send a link to that device.
We spent some time trying to find a USB dongle that would work with Ropieee, so it would be good to keep one in an Amazon wishlist for the next time someone has an issue

I don’t have any links to things sadly only devices I had laying around in my collection. Should be plenty from the likes pihut etc

thanks for that, sadly many of them do not work with Ropieee which was where we spent ages looking for something that Steve could use in his metal case.