New Pi and tracks skipping

Ok apparently its working off my normal wifi not the dongle as I took the dongle out and its still working.

I will try and follow the steps above

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do this?
I have put the Pi web number ( if its even called that) but cant see where I would find what I need to do

Steve have a look at the quick startup guide I sent you yesterday. That should talk you through setting up WiFi and it may give you two dongles.
You might want to plug it in downstairs on Ethernet and set it up from there in case it finds two WiFi setup’s. I think you might want to forget the first and then add the second, but I have never done this before.

Sadly I go into another meeting in 10 minutes and then another one after that. I will try and keep an eye out in between

Dont worry Michael you have done more than enough to help me.
I will look at the guide as you suggest.
If I had known what the Pi involved I would NEVER have went for it. I am thinking if I have to do update after update to the Pi …oh and then maybe the dongle too. Well I will actually never get to listen to music.

The sad thing is I do not have much else to recommend that will work with everything you need.
I have a Zen Stream which is great for Roon/HQplayer but I cannot recommend for Tidal/Spotify/Apple music etc.
I also have a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 but that does Roon/Airplay only so I am out of ideas.
Both of those do WiFi but I again cannot guarantee what will work in your environment.

Pi’s are great but I generally recommend them to tinkerers and people who have friends that are technical and can come around and sort it out.

Ropieee is not really my thing but maybe I can drop you a PM and try to help you directly later on if you are free

Thanks Michael, the ebay seller has offered to help me tonight so thanks for your offer, but I should be able to get this sorted.
I just HATE not being able to do this type of thing myself so I am having a go at it…I am browsing the guide you sent me but have yet to come to the part showing me how to add this dongle to the Pi

I am close to giving up if I am honest , but I have come this far so will keep trying. If I get it set up then the first sign of trouble and it will go.

I had no idea it would be this difficult to get Roon into my Office set up…Roon a Multi Room solution…Hmmmmmmm . I know my opinion on this :grinning:

1 Like

Try http://ropieee.local or http://ropieeexl.local

If that doesn’t work that take a look at section ‘IV - Configuration’ in the Ropieee for beginners guide for guidance on how to find the IP address.

3 Likes

Good luck Steve :+1:

I think I have done it, but how do I know its now using the dongle?
I followed some instructions on another thread on here.

1 Like

Quick and easy process for upgrading.
This assumes that the RPi are already running on internal WiFi:

1. Connect the new USB WiFi adaptor to the running RPi (any USB port will do)
  2. Go to the web interface, network and hit “Commit Changes”
  3. Go to your router interface and check for the IP of the reconfigured RPi. Because the RPi is using new hardware at that point, the IP will change as the devices MAC address will be different.
  4. Enter the IP into your browser address bar to go to the RoPieee control interface, now already using the external adaptor for WiFi.
  5. Go to the Network tab, hit “More Info” in the Wireless section, confirm that the external interface (the adaptor) is being used, hit “Reboot” in the alert box at the top.

At this point the RPi should be up and running with the newly installed adapter. Hope this helps someone.

THIS IS WHAT I FOLLOWED

1 Like

The only thing it did not do was give it a new IP address so I am not sure if the dongle is actually being used
I dont think it is using the dongle as when I go back into the IP address it still shows as using the Raspberry Pi wifi interface.
For some reason it is not allocating a new IP address as in point 3 above

Do I need to change to DHCP??? …it is currently set at static

Edit - I have now changed it to static …and it is taking an age to configure. Hope I havent done something wrong here

Ok after a lot of googling etc I thought I had done it. I am sure I have got the Pi using the dongle, but now Roon is not recognising the Pi

How can I check the Wifi Dongle is being used?

You need to disconnect the Lan or it does something weird.

I have no idea how to do that sorry.

For some reason it is sticking with the same IP address, whereas above it says it should allocate it a new one

I have battled hard all afternoon but I think its time to give up. I am sure I have configured the Pi correctly, but Roon just does not see it.

When Ropieee is back up and running you can check which WiFi interface is in play by:

• click on network
  • click on wireless

See what is selected in the dropdown box.

1 Like

Steve just out of my meetings.

I did write above but not sure if I was clear enough.
I imagine you need to plug it in over Ethernet (downstairs) and remove the old WiFi settings and once it is running on Ethernet then reboot with the new USB WiFi in and set that up from Ethernet using your WiFi details.
Hopefully once complete you should see this up and running you can shut it down and unplug it from Ethernet and start it up again.

While this is partially speculation on my part it sounds like what I would expect to do.

Do you know the IP address of your Pi / Ropieee?

If not, download an app like Fing and you can scan your network and find out if the Pi is on the network and what it’s IP is.

It will show in your devices list like this

1 Like

Hi

Yes I did get to that stage, but I can now only do that by connecting the Pi to the router by ethernet .
When I did have it connected it showed exactly as yours did. Surely it should have been the name of the Wifi dongle?
It used the drop down menu and used the dongle name that was there as I assumed it must be the one I had in the Pi

Yes I use the app wifiman
The Pi does not show up when it is removed from the Router.
When it is plugged in to the router I can see the IP address yes.
This is what I use to try and change the wireless settings. It appeared to have worked, but then as soon as I disconnect it from the router it does not show up

Yes I have tried to do this twice already this afternoon…but to no avail.