New pricing for TIDAL

I didn’t actually think about that before you said it, but it’s not a bad idea!

mostly I’m curious what ad sales team they have set up so quickly… it’s not easy to become an “ad network”.

if it’s all their own ads right now, they skipped that setup to get this out the door quickly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Im probably going to upset a few people here but whats new…
I really dont understand why so many are getting bent out of shape on what the signal path says, MQA etc etc.
There are three takeaways for myself on this move.

1/ Its going to cost me less per month.
2/ Supposedly more of that money is going to the artists.
3/ Who cares what the signal path says IF it sounds better to my ears.

And to that last point I am going to give it a month trial just to see what the SQ is like to my ears regardless of what the heck the signal path says!

A quick check yesterday showed quite a few albums available in Tidal that have gone awol on Qobuz so thats a great start for myself.

8 Likes

Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if they made sweetheart deals with a handful of potential advertisers for a little variety in the beginning.

No that’s not what I said. Any MQA master that is a 44.1/24 an not higher passes through as MQA 44.1/24 and Roon will see it as MQA and perform the first unfold the renderer will then play it and display ORFS as 44.1/24… Tidal has always had tons on MQA just at 44.1/24. All other files you get a 44.1/16 flac strean no mention of MQA although Roons library will display it as being mqa. Wether these are downsampled or just the pcm equivalent is unknown, Tidal does have both pcm and mqa of these when you look in versions .

MQA would still be taking a share of the artists money, first from the “upgrade” to MQA then from ROON for using the MQA “algorithm”
Which in the end means less money to our favorite artists. :confused:

How do you come to that conclusion? How much does an artist lose because of MQA?

Most contracts makes artist take parts in expenses.
Since it costs more to also have the music converted to MQA. It also costs the artists money

I’m not sure you are correct about this, I think having MQA does not cost the artist anything, MQA make their money licensing decoders etc… If I’m wrong, someone will let me know…

2 Likes

I think it has been said before that everytime you play an MQA track through Roon and MQA is enabled, a fee is sent to MQA.
MQA bills Roon based on Core Decodes. If a user doesn’t Core Decode, they don’t get billed.

2 Likes

Is anyone able to confirm that after downloading from the Tidal HiFi Plus tier to the Tidal HiFi tier they have not lost any albums in their Roon Library?

2 Likes

This is pretty interesting. I have zero interest in MQA, but the hi-fi (CD quality) option is only $6.50 a month at present exchange rates for me.
It’s tempting, but I am going to stick with Qobuz Sublime for now ($15) a month, as it gives me hi res and big discounts on file downloads I buy (which I do). The hi-res isn’t a biggie for me, but the discounts on purchases are.

I’m guessing this will pretty much kill off new subscribers to the Hi-fi plus tier (although there weren’t many of those anyway), as very few people will be willing to pay double for those formats over CD quality.

How do you know that? (I am not doubting it at all, just seeking source or documentation)

Some of us have been trying to figure out the related question whether API plays factor into Daily Discovery. Most of us feel that it does not.

The questions are of course related but very different. The artist play count impacts artist revenue.

thanks for any info!

At that price, I would get it purely to fill in the gaps in Qobuz.

As far as I have noticed so far, they’re quite a few.

1 Like

Let’s just say: I Know artists

Otherwise it has been confirmed by others that it’s another expense on top to get Your music released in MQA, and it has forced Audirvana to move to a subscription model. It has even been confirmed by staff here that ROON pays MQA each time an MQA file is played by their software.
And who pays this ? The ones paying for ROON/Audirvana which in the end means less money to spend on music.

1 Like

It says it’s the same here

Well I listened to an album by Silk Sonic last night via Roon on Tidal. Tidal is now recommending more by them in their app today , so I would say yes it feeds back. My play history from last year, Tidal is presenting to me as I cancelled end of Nov last year has music I played via Roon as I never have used their app at all for playback. Monetary wise it has to feedback as the streaming providers have to pay loyalties.on what played this will be part of the licensing agreements with Roon as with other partners and studios. All streams come from Tidal they don’t go via Roon. They will be logging each access to any track.

1 Like

I think I’d be more inclined to believe what Peter Lie, Firmware Lead for (MQA Limited partner manufacturer) Lumin no less, has to say on the subject!

Thanks for your details… I don’t have such a clean break as I might listen to TIDAL in the car or iPhone out of the house.

For me, Tidal Discovery is not so on target and the My Mix does not reflect the range of music I listen to. The new Roon Valance lists do.

EDIT: Examples, I listen to a lot of Jazz at night on Roon. Tidal never suggests jazz into Discovery or My Mix. In Roon, I listened to The Polish Ambassador a lot. Has never shown in Tidal recommendations. In my car (Tidal app), I am often with my daughter and play more pop oriented music. Much of my Tidal recommendations feel influenced by these listening sessions, not Roon plays.

I 100% agree the API plays are tracked for artist revenue, but many here in the forum do not think Tidal discovery features reflect there Roon plays, so your data point is very relevant.

The question then (assuming this is correct) is what the legal situation is when a label chooses to move to MQA without consulting an artist. Either way, my subscription promises direct payments to artists and Tidal remains closer to the top of the league table of artist payments so my guess is overall the artists are better off despite the burden of any expenses owed to MQA.

The email for artist payout has two tracks… (pun intended). Hard to know if just two things that are really the same thing or two different features. Most of the other marketing copy says “up to 10%”… crack marketing team at work!

Direct Artist Payouts
Each month, 10% of your subscription is allocated to the artist you listen to the most, directly supporting their craft. (Coming soon)

Fan-Centered Royalties
Your favorite artists get paid at a higher rate and in a more transparent way, based directly on who you are listening to each month. (Coming soon)