New pricing for TIDAL

Not sure you can be certain about that. Unless in the masters tier you can ONLY see mqa offerings, you may still have Red Books lurking around which would show the same signal path as yours.

Try it with anything by Led Zeppelin. Their entire catalogue was only available in mqa in Australia and when testing with the HiFi tier, the hoped-for Red Book was proven not to be so as the signal path showed as 44.1/16 mqa.

@ElTel I’m in Aus, my fav track and the MQA version is playing as flac seemingly. Are we free of MQA?

@Jim_F yeah, there has been this whole thing of Tidal serving up MQA streams that are down sampled to 44/16 for the lower HiFi tier. This seems to have corrected that in serving non MQA flac streams.

It’s a shame the releases still show as MQA in Roon anyway though. I wish they reflected the quality of the stream instead.

1 Like

Wow. That’s an about-face from 6 months ago.

I’ve transitioned to Qobuz in any case. If it wasn’t mqa, it would have been dorsey buying into Tidal; I’m done with Tidal in either case.

My streamer/DAC doesn’t do mqa-upsampling on non-mqa streams either, so I’m double-vaxxed against it :laughing:

No issues at all with MQA here.

2 Likes

You still get mqa at 44 1/24 you don’t escape that you just don’t get anything higher. I posted earlier showing my signal path. It seems.its capped at 44.1 and allows any MQA encoded at that through, which is a lot.

Not exactly you still get mqa wrapped in 44 1/24 passed through so there is no complete escape.

No see above.

Sorry if I missed this already in the discussion, but does anyone know if Tidal streams through Roon count toward the “direct-to-artist payments”? Looking at the “My Activity” section of the Tidal app it seems like it’s only showing the stuff I played directly though the Tidal app.

Of course, I could just stream a couple of albums by one artist and see if they show up :laughing:

1 Like

It all counts.

3 Likes

48kHz-multiple MQA master albums cannot be used to test this.

You have to find a MQA album that it is a multiple of 44.1kHz - however, you need a HiFi Plus account to identify this in the first place.

For this test, one would need to find a MQA album that:

1. is a multiple of 44.1kHz not 48kHz
  2. does not have a non-MQA version from Tidal
2 Likes

Someone with a HiFi non-Plus account please try this Bruno Mars album:

Enable Roon MQA Core decoder. Set MQA Capabilities to Renderer Only. Post your signal path.

I have a HiFi non Plus account.

Signal path still says MQA.

4 Likes

What was the ad for?

Only 44.1/24 masters will pass through. Even if it’s 88.2 with a 44.1/24 encoded file it won’t. So you only get 44.1/24 mastered mqa files for free under the Hifi tier ,all others you just get 44.1/16 non MQA.

Downgrading from Master to HiFi Quality will result in Tidal converting the MQA album to 16/44.1. If it was originally a 44.1kHz-multiple 24-bit album, the 8 bits are simply truncated resulting in a 16/44.1 MQA CD. If it was originally a 44.1kHz 16-bit MQA CD such as early Madonna albums, it will remain to be the same MQA CD. If it was originally a 48kHz-multiple album, I believe the MQA signaling is destroyed in the conversion to 16/44.1.

From this perspective, the difference between a HiFi non-Plus and HiFi Plus account is that the former will force the downgrade of Master quality to HiFi 16/44.1 quality.

5 Likes

Peter, you know how much we love having you around here! :beers:

5 Likes

Not really a surprise…lol
About 10 seconds of how much better I would be on Tidal hifi tier…

1 Like

hah!

anyone else care to share the ads they’ve heard?

@danny why do I feel like they are about to advertise Roon? :stuck_out_tongue: