"New releases for you" is great but

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You’re joking right?

3 Likes

Roon knows, unfortunately the AI does not.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t have a dog in the fight. I would suppose that no matter what route one takes, inevitably it comes down to how well it’s implemented. At face value, this sounds attractive. I just have no sense of how difficult it would be to make musical attributes an objective value once you get past human-attributed genre tags.

I admire Roon for going after these objectives (Roon Radio, NRFY, Recommended For You) but clearly there’s room for improvement (ahem…). For me, the highest ranked recommendations are pretty plausible and I’ve gotten some good leads there. The omissions, what is new that isn’t found, is my biggest disappointment. Personally, I wouldn’t want the omissions to go up as a consequence of trimming back the chaff, but we’ll see what the sorcerers come up with.

I also have no knowledge of what the analysis entails other than that each track in a library would need to undergo analysis to understand it’s musical properties and the result of that analysis is then stored in a database used to identify similar music to inform playlists etc. Such a pity MusicIP was consumed by Gracenote, it really did a great job crafting perpetual playlists seeded from one or more tracks that represent the kind of music you’re in the mood for.

What I really do not understand, is that the Singles section actually makes sense.
I have 32 new releases presented, of which 26 are from artists in My Library.
It is only a pity that this section is not updated frequently, just look at the actual dates:

The album section is really a disaster however, and completely the opposite of the Singles section.
I have in total 95 albums presented, only 4 (four) albums in the non-classical genre are from artists actually in My Library.
In the classical genre, 16 albums are of composers in My Library are presented. And although I have about 16% classical albums in My Library (580 to be precise), I do not listen 16% of my time to Classical music.

So 75 albums out of 95 are completely new to me at artist level, but most of them seem to belong to the Jazz genre.

It is maybe just me that created the problem, by limiting Radio to My Library (which by the way could explain the Singles recommendations). But I honestly I do not get it.

On Albums missed, it is very simple. Even if I wait for 1 week in order for Roon to synchronize with Qobuz, it is quite exceptional to see the weekly new releases in Qobuz appear in Roon.
The exception is confirming the rule, it is just not happening.
Dirk

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s it Dirk. Twice in the past three weeks releases have appeared that aren’t in NRFY. Both of these were found among the Roon albums/tracks from the Artist when I checked. One of these releases would be classified as one of my favorites based on plays, presence in library, being ‘hearted’, etc. Now, there may be some database synchronization with NRFY that may happen later, and that would explain it. But at least for me the music is available for me to play via Roon (via Tidal or Qobuz) and it did not appear in NRFY.

Fortunately, the ace-in-the-hole is @dabassgoesboomboom :slightly_smiling_face: who inevitably finds this music seconds after release and puts most of it in his thread!

1 Like

I’ve said this numerous times to Roon support about the singles being ok and the albums rubbish and get no feedback at all.

To be honest, the Roon feedback on many subjects as been poor lately.

I have found this too. Singles seem to get it right although mine has not updated at all since December. I think Roon need to look at this as it’s really not working well and looks like for most of us.

There has been suggestions that Roon learns from what you play and improves recommendations based up that.

Well, I use multiple profiles. My “Kitchen” profile ONLY plays pop music. MY profile is predominantly prog rock/blues/jazz. The album recommendations for both profiles are identical and bear little resemblance to anything played…

I feel that, rather like Roon Radio, it simply doesn’t work as we expect and makes me wonder whether Roon is being paid to promote these albums rather than intelligently basing them on our own habits and preferences.

Recommendations, for me, are so far next to useless, although the odd decent album pops up now and then, I suspect more due to luck than anything. But mainly it’s more miss than hit.

So, just like Roon Radio, Recommendations are another major feature I won’t be using.

1 Like

Well my secret weapons are Spotify, Apple Music and even the Tidal app.

Their versions of NRFY have me fully covered really well.

Would be great be for Roon AI to one day perform well in this regard and I’d happily drop Spotify and Apple Music.

Hopefully we get there. cc @mike @joel

Until then, I’m happy (for now) to do things the old fashioned way and keep manually sharing, as there are people interested.

First world problems of course.

1 Like

Besides it is not a release I would like to see in NRFY, it is recommended twice.

Love the idea of this feature, but I think Roon really wants me to listen to classical music. My NRFY is predominantly classical, but I have zero classical recordings in my library and have listened maybe to one in the 3 or 4 years I’ve had Roon. I was in the band and orchestra in high school, so maybe Roon’s AI has gone rogue and is looking through public records.

That said, I have found a couple of great albums by way of NRFY among the many classical recordings Roon thinks I should be enjoying, so here’s hoping it sorts itself out over time.

That’s been my experience also–the recommendations are so far off the mark that the features are completely useless. At least we can turn off Roon Radio automatically starting; the recommendations and new releases don’t come anywhere close to what I am interested in, and there’s no way to turn them off. Which is why I keep calling it “spam.” Unwanted, not asked for, just distracting clutter.

Spotify is very good finding relevant new music.

2 Likes

It is possible to use Roon Radio with you own content exclusively…

Yeah, for that purpose I have a free Spotify account to have a weekly scan of Release Radar etc.

Well done Roon this week, quite frankly it astonishes me how bad this feature is. Christmas Albums its February.

Good for me today

OK, credit where it’s due: I just played an album from Recommended for You that I was previously unaware of. “Have We Met” by Destroyer. This is a band (?) that I only recently became aware of thru Jon Darko’s You Tube channel and I have been playing their Kaputt release off Tidal for a couple of weeks. This new release appeared as suggestion #2 in my feed today (2nd Feb) after being released on 31st Jan.

Prior to this I was being plagued with Celine Dion, Kacey Musgraves’ Christmas album and Roon’s all consuming obsession with classical music regardless of one’s own preferences.

Hope this is a sign of Valnce starting to get up to speed!

1 Like

I don’t understand why the new album of my number 3 of most played artists is far down the recommentation list if sorted by relevance. Maybe the algorithm needs some tweaking.