New Releases For You - Pruning the list

If you want to, you can prune the “New Releases For You” list to remove albums from the list that you don’t want to see when you revisit the list.

Right-click (or long touch, on touchscreen devices) the albums in the list that you don’t want to see in future, and then choose the “Dismiss From This List” option in the ‘3 dots’ menu.

Pruning the list has no effect on the machine learning of Vālence. There are many valid reasons to dismiss something from the list that are both positive and negative towards the content, so Roon Labs didn’t feel comfortable interpreting it in a particular way.

6 Likes

Mine needs a severe pruning.

Got loads of classical album suggestions and I never listen to classical.

Yes same here. I do occasionally listen to classical and have a few in my library but was surprised at the large number of classical new releases suggested for me. Would not like to have to prune them all individually like this every time so I hope Roon learns over time what I am really interested in.

The first 5 suggestions though were indeed spot on for me so some part of this is working fine.

So maybe Roon wants you to change. There’s great classical music out there … :wink:

More seriously, as it is a feature based on what users listen to, I believe this will change over time - for the better.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like it would take the dismissals into account for future suggestions would it?

I don’t know how Roon Labs have designed Vālence, so I couldn’t say whether it does or not.

It does not. There are many valid reasons to dismiss something from the list that are both positive and negative towards the content, so we didn’t feel comfortable interpreting it in a particular way.

2 Likes

Great, I assumed so—“to improve its relevance to you” sounded like it would.

Which works great if you have the same listening habits. If your tastes are more eclectic, then, it works less well. My mix tapes used to be regarded by friends as works of a madman with the disparate genres I used to mix together. I mean besides me, who puts a Carpenters song between Black Flag and Social Distortion.

Recommended for me will hopefully be based primarily on what I listen to and Valence will add music which could be of relevance to me. How well Valence learns to do this, I will see … and I won’t make it easy. Eclecticism is cool. :wink:

On the other hand side, machines will make us do things their way, so maybe in a year or so I’ve adapted to Valence – without taking notice.