New ROCK install cannot connect to NAS share

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK Version 1.6 b416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Frontier Arris NVG568MQ Ethernet connected

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
N/A for this issue

Description Of Issue
I’m in the process of migrating a core from a Win10 PC to ROCK on NUC (media files are on a Synology DS716+ NAS). After restoring the backup, the NUC doesn’t seem be be able to access the shared folder that was previously working. I removed that share and have tried to reconnect but I keep getting an “UnexpectedError” message.

I did find a similar topic and made the changes per that topic (turn off AFP & adjust SMB settings) but I still get the failure. I will note that, if I use the current IP address of the NAS, it takes a few seconds longer to fail.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Related side question: is there a way to log directly into the ROCK and examine some logs?

Are you entering the nas user and password?

Hi @Tom_Check,

Is ROCK connected to the same subnet as the NAS? As in do they share the same switch or are both plugged in directly to the router?

If you connect your previous Win10 PC to the router or same switch that the NAS is on, is it still accessible (via Finder/via your old Roon install)?

I would try connecting via IP address as this is generally a more stable method of connecting.

Yes, there is a way to do this, but I am not sure if it will provide useful info right now. You can locate logs by following these instructions.

I’m using the same username/password as was used on the PC. I also tried with no credentials and with and without the workgroup specified. All combinations fail with the same result.

WRT other questions:

There’s only one subnet. There is an Ethernet switch between the ROCK and the router. The share is accessible from the PC’s explorer window.

How are you entering in the Nas shared path?

I was just able to connect. My NAS has two IP addresses (dual LAN ports) and I had only been trying one address previously. It seems to work using the other address.

I’m not sure why the first address wouldn’t work or why DHCP is failing but I think I’m good-to-go from here.

1 Like

Hi @Tom_Check,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear that the second IP address works as expected!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.