New Roon Support system - no template

Hi Roon Staff

The new support system, while is great in some regards, is a failure as there is no template anymore for users to complete.

To have a template for the user to fill in speeds up any triage process and possible cure other users can help with.

This thread is just an example of this.

If the OP (not their fault) had completed a template from the older support system, they’d possibly would have been advised to try the Windows firewall.

Another idea would be to fire back at the OP during their creation of a support post, based of the type of issue and information being input a “Have you tried this?” document. It could help the user while they wait.

If one of my customers contacts me and doesn’t tell me make/model of their equipment, nor a fault code (if present), then I am going in completely blind.

At the job logging stage the customer through whatever means we use, we capture make/model and fault code (if present) and full description of the fault. 9 out of 10 times we get sufficient information to pinpoint a cause and the remedial action. We can then attend, maybe even collect a part on route and fix first time without repeated return visits.

I’d even say that if the template isn’t completed fully, i.e. a section left blank, then their support post isn’t submitted. Might be a bit harsh :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

I agree this approach is much worse than the original template. At least a percentage of users filled that in, nearly all of the new form information is useless. “It’s broke”

3 Likes

I would add this needs to be all done from the app where all the Roon relevant system info can be uploaded without the user having to. Works well for Blusound and Wiim. You still need to add the other details such as network etc but getting the relevant roon version, os etc could be automated surely.

5 Likes

Totally agree :+1:

1 Like

I believe that the problem with this new Support system is that we (the ordinary forum users) don’t get to see information that the Support team now have access to. They are apparently being fed with the user’s system and network setup and configuration details by the new Support system.

While in one sense this is an improvement - the Support team no longer have to rely on people filling out the post template to get system and setup information - it does have the distinct disadvantage that the rest of us are flying blind. That means that knowledgeable community members (including us mods!) are being hampered in offering help. And in turn, that means delays before issues reach the head of the Support team’s queue, with consequential increasing levels of customer dissatisfaction in the community.

9 Likes

Thanks @Geoff_Coupe for this.

Good to know Roon are getting that you mention.

I would run through the new support process but I’m getting 502 and 504 gateway errors. Thought it might be my PiHole, so moved to mobile data. Still getting them.

Does that work if your forum account isnt your roon account email? Mine are different as I signed up using a different one. The whole login thing gets very confused and often uses the wrong email as my user when it posts it.

1 Like

I have no idea… That’s a question that only the Support team can answer…

1 Like

As seemingly 90% of triage is done by fellow users and a large amount of fixes too, it’s pants to give inadequate data to those doing the work…

3 Likes

Right on. I’m getting a bit tired of working from this

5 Likes

ce95dca2-05b7-49a2-b11d-842b48072be7_text

I’ve just about stopped ‘doing the work’ due to the poor quality of many support posts.

2 Likes

Me too TBH. I chuck in an occasional, have you rebooted.

2 Likes

Agreed, I have had to consistently ask for more details to help but more often than not I just don’t…lately.

2 Likes

Maybe Roon are finally going to take responsibility for handling support instead of laying it on the shoulders of other customers. This may just be the beginning of that.

3 Likes

There have been remarks to that direction lately but I guess funding, recruitment, management, process and tooling is not an overnight chain.
At least I hope that is what’s in progress and not AI :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Support from users can be and is extremely beneficial.

Some folks with a simple issue may have to wait weeks for a Roon Support staff member to post back. That user may not be able to listen to any music via Roon. Ignoring the fact there’s other methods, Roon might be there only way for them.

If I can help 1 out of 100 to regain music via our beloved Roon, I’m happy and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Users get frustrated though when helpful users ask a whole load of questions about this and that (which the template system provides 9 out of 10 times). The user in need of support doesn’t benefit the help being offered and isn’t a happy camper.

I have the template saved and will, moving forward post it on support threads if I feel it will help speed things up.

3 Likes

BTW - this made sense to me at the time I posted. Now, not so :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Makes sense to me :slight_smile:

1 Like