New Roon User-Confused about what Roon Software to Install

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ThinkPad X1 laptop, i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10, 500 GB SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 Router Modem

*Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin T1 Audiophile Network Music Player (connect by ethernet CAT 5e cable)

Description Of Issue

I installed the ROON software on a ThinkPad X1 laptop using “Roon” selection as software choice and linked to my iTunes music folder successfully on my laptop. My laptop is connected to my router/modem by an ethernet cable as well as the Lumin T1. I also installed Roon app on iPhone and iPad and was able to play music on these devices. I was also able to play music on my laptop to my Bose laptop speakers, but I am not able to get my computer, iPhone or iPad to recognize the Lumin T1. I was thinking that I may have installed the wrong software selection. Which do I choose for my setup? (Roon, Roon Server, Roon Remote and/or Roon Bridge).

Roon is the full suite, it can be setup as a Server OR a client to an existing Roon Server setup. However, it is only functional when the software is running. Close the software and the program stops.

Roon Server is just the server. It can be set to run at computer startup and is running all the time. It does NOT have a graphical interface. To control it, you need to be running a client that is connected to the Core.

Roonbridge is software that allows devices connected to the computer to be used by RoonServer without having to run Roon. It to can be setup to run at startup and it also does not have a graphical interface.

It is possible to run RoonServer AND Roon setup as a Client on the same machine.

Hi @Steve_Donovan,

The Roon software that you chose doesn’t have any effect on the discovery of audio devices. If you’re interested in learning more about the different software versions available, check out our Knowledge Base.

The Lumin T1 is a RoonReady device, so it should be discovered over the network and available in Settings > Audio.

Can you confirm that the Lumin is seen on the network outside of Roon?

In Lumin app, tap “Select a LUMIN” to select your Lumin T1. The in Lumin settings, please make sure Roon Ready is enabled. You may disable Lumin Streaming if you don’t use AirPlay, and disable Spotify Connect if you’re not subscribed to it, also disable Digital audio output if you don’t use the BNC-SPDIF output.

In Roon, go to Audio Setup, find Lumin T1 under networked Roon Ready devices, enable it and give it a zone name. Then in playback you can choose the zone for Lumin.

If you can see the Lumin T1 in Lumin app but not in Roon audio setup, go into your Netgear router settings, disable Smart Connect and enable IGMP (or not disabled).

In case anyone reads this thread from search results, here’s the solution the OP posted in another forum a month ago: https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=16762&page=2&p=277128&viewfull=1#post277128

talked with my IT expert at work, and he suggested that I disable my Google Wi-Fi hub from my modem/router and run my Wi-Fi from my modem/router and ethernet cable. The Lumin App works and it Lumin T1 works great now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.