New server , ripped a single cd, library shows something very strange

I would very much appreciate an explanation of what I am experiencing with a new server while ripping a CD.

My Roon account recognizes my server using my iPad I chose an internet radio station to listen to that worked as it should.

I then chose a cd to rip , the server has a built in CD ripper . There was no indication on my iPad at all a CD was being ripped.

I looked at my Roon library and saw there were 20 Lps in my library

IMG_1622

IMG_1621

Excuse my ignorance of technology I’m new to digital playback this is my second music server I’ve owned since 2019,

I’m an old guy and would very much appreciate an explanation.

Thank you

It looks like your server is ripping CDs but not looking them up in an online database to help name the albums and tracks properly so that Roon can have a chance to identify them. Can you provide more information on the “server” you are using (product name, etc.)?

Thanks DDPS , it’s a AfterDark Giesemann Karmann

Unfortunately, I have no experience with this unit. Part of me thinks that it’s not connected to your Internet connection in order to look your disc rips up, but that is a guess, and guesses are bad ;). It seems like a good bet is for you to ask their support team on this, as it doesn’t look like an issue with Roon itself.

Thanks , no it’s not a Roon issue the single cd I used shows 20 Lps in my new Roon Library plus it’s all Micro Soft data tagged on each Lp ,.The server is from Hong Kong the manufacturer is known on AudioPhileStyle I’m waiting for his response. Me thinks the unit was slammed during shipping messed something up internally,…

@S_Mark_Sime, welcome to the Community. To what format are you ripping your files? If it’s WAV, then no metadata (the data about the album and individual tracks) cannot be applied to the file. If it is to FLAC, MP3, AAC, ALAC, or some other file types, then metadata (on which Roon both uses and expands within its database) is captured and editable.

Addititionally, most users find it best to rip files outside of Roon by using applications such as dbpoweramp, iTunes/Apple Music, and other options. These applicattions support multiple ripping file formats, as well as the ability to automatically apply tags, bring down album cover graphics. Some users than apply their own tags or bring down more metadata information with other applications such as MP3tag. These tagged music files are then imported into Roon and Roon can perform its analysis and provide additional metadata for its library.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert , I was just confused over my Roon library showing 20 Lps after inserting a single cd to be ripped . The other server I recently replaced was a Innuos Zenith I had when I first subscribed to Roon I ripped all my CDs effortlessly , I’ll get it figured out thank you once again.

Is there just one track in each of these “albums”? If so, it’s probably because the albums are not recognized as such and each track creates a new one

1 Like

You really need to contact the vendor/retailer of your server. It seems it is running windows and that it/you have directed Roon to index audio files in the Windows/System directory of the operating system.
That’s not what you want to do, but rather dedicate a separate folder (or even drive) for your media files and likely even a quarantine-folder for your CD-rips. (To allow you to groom their data, before handing them over to Roon, not necessary, but likely wise)
Then of course, point Roon-Settings-Storage in the direction of your media library.

1 Like

Mario it’s not music off the cd that showed up in my library it’s Micro Soft data .

Thanks Mike , I just heard back from the manufacturer he’s giving me a step by step troubleshooting instructions to resolve the issue ,

1 Like

Got it, I’m sure @Mikael_Ollars is correct in the post above.

Oh dear. I didn’t look closely enough. That is indeed what is going on.

1 Like

Same here. My eyes had seen the amd64_Microsoft file names but it didn’t register in my brain. Thank goodness that @Mikael_Ollars had more presence of mind.

1 Like

I have a new server with a built in cd ripper , I have Qobuz and Tidel though I want to rip my cd collection .There is no indication Roon sees my ripper even placing a cd in the ripper nothing shows up that it’s going through the process.
My previous server ripping was a breeze building a Roon music library . I don’t ever remember any kind of setting on Roon I had to do , any suggestions would be great .

What exactly is the “new server”? What operating system is it running?

Roon does not have a CD ripping function unless you are using Roon OS (used in the Nucleus or ROCK/NUC systems)

AJ

The new server is newly purchased , its operating system is micro soft . I take it when you rip a cd it will go directly into the SSD of the server then from there be transferred into my Roon library do I understand that correctly ?
Thank you for any assistance.

So if the server is running Microsoft Windows, then you need a third-party software application to rip your CDs. Roon does NOT have a CD ripping function itself.

I see , thank you