New SHD popping noise with Roon high bit rate playback

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC (Roon recommended model) with ROCK

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TroyCablevision Fiber Optic

|Protocol:|Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)|
|Security type:|WPA2-Personal|
|Network band:|5 GHz|
|Network channel:|157|
|Manufacturer:|Intel Corporation|
|Description:|Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz|
|Driver version:|22.10.0.7|

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

miniDSP SHD via LAN only connection.

Description Of Issue

miniDSP SHD with latest NEO3 hardware (approximate update middle of January 2020). Roon Ready is enabled via developer status, not using Roon Bridge plugin (not installed). On high bit-rate music via Tidal or qobuz played thru Roon, 24-bit or higher, there is a persistent intermittent popping noise. It is not present on 16-bit music that I have tested thus far.

I realize this may be an issue with miniDSP hardware, as it is not present with the previous SHD that I purchased in December 2020 and now have connected to my system. However, in case their may be something mutually beneficial that can be shared between the two companies during certification, perhaps this may be of assistance, and/or I can do further testing if so desired.

Regards,
Sonnie

This might be worth a google.
Other minidsp SHD users have experienced popping issues with this interface, outside of roon.

I too experience clicks and pops when steaming high-bitrate material on the new SHD hardware (NEO3 processor) via Roon. Clicks and pops occur only when using Roon.

I have the same new SHD hardware as @Sonnie_Parker but, in my case, I am using the built-in Volumio Roon Bridge and not the Roon Ready support.

There are no issues at all running Roon Bridge on a Raspberry PI3 that is connected to the SHD USB port, high-bitrate material plays without issues. The Volumio QOBUZ also plays high bit-rate material without errors using the MiniDSP LAN Connection.

The click and pops issue happens only with new SHD hardware when using either the Roon Bridge and Roon Ready software.

The concern I have is that MiniDSP Roon Ready support comes is released but does not work properly with the new SHD hardware.

• Rich

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.