New speaker cables

In what way are you skeptical about my cables? That I have used them? That they worked? None of that has anything to do with break-in, something about which I have made snide comments in print. I am sorry that you think I am targeting you.

1 Like

Evidently Kubala-Sosna thinks a lot about break in as they even detail break in events on their web site. You bought cables from them because you valued their tech, right?

Sorry, but an AudioQuest Coffee USB that goes for $400? I didn’t price the other cables in your system that I mentioned, but I’m sure they’re equally absurd. My point was, with components like that, you have no business being incredulous about anything.

You’re sorry for what I think? That’s funny. I don’t think you’re targeting me. I think you saw an opportunity to make a snide comment seemingly with impunity and you took it.

3 Likes

I will leave the thread at this point. My target was the myth of break-in. The fact that I have used the products you name does not mean I accept their makers’ marketing poetry.

7 Likes

It seems to me that the WBC is just this. Cables comparable to any well-made cables using off-the-shelf cable and connectors from the likes of Canere, Van Damme, Neutric etc.

Moreover, looking at prices on Amazon, I’d say they are reasonable for this type of cable.

AFAIK, the OP only mentioned burn-in in response to another post, and never made any claims about this.

So, I must remind everyone, to discuss the topic, i.e., the cables, and not resort to remarks about community members. Moreover, remember the community guidelines, and especially, that your posts should improve the discussion.

Helps us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

6 Likes

Yes I realise in reading with hindsight, that the burn in was a tongue in cheek remark. These cables do appear to be eminently sensible choices.

Have QED XT40i, it was chosen for some very simple reasons

1. it was terminated, which makes life easier
  2. it was sufficient gauge for the use at hand
  3. it was long enough
  4. it was cheap on eBay :slight_smile:
  5. it was grey, which was easily hidden and didn’t draw attention to itself

I’ve never even contemplated replacing it since then, I doubt I ever will unless my length requirements change, but I got a 5m pair, so I doubt they ever will.

1 Like

And therein lies the problem, with all the back and forth and incredulity, my point for this thread might have been overwhelmed.

That point being that these cables seem to be well made and reasonably priced cables from a company that would seem (based on their guarantee) to be bending over backwards for their customers.

Anyway, enough said.

5 Likes

I have always just made my own. Canare star quad like the OP. I just find it fun and try and make other analog and power cables.

6 Likes

Well, um… In my defense, I seem to have an awful lot of it in my shop. And I do add banana plugs!

1 Like

Nice work. I don’t have the patience, focus or manual dexterity for that.

Making a power cable has to be last on my list. :slightly_smiling_face:

Savage.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Canare Starquad too, though I use all 4 cores in a single cable to leverage the infinitessimally small inductance and resistance:

Excuse the temporary studwork timber. There’ll be a slightly tidier temporary plinth in place tomorrow while I get on with the stainless ones.

2 Likes

Interesting interview with Garth Powell/Audioquest on speaker cables

Sorry, I don’t trust any one who could (conceivably) defend a cable with prices like these -

7 Likes

That is quite a strange argument. No one at Audioquest is „defending“ anything with their high-end line. That’s just to showcase what is possible in their terms.
That is like the Maybach for Mercedes. But no is not trusting Mercedes just because they are offering the Maybach models.

The fact that they would ‘showcase’ a cable whose price starts at $60K means that they believe the engineering it represents is worth $60K and surely the engineers have faith in what they produce with its corresponding price, so no I don’t trust any tech speak from the Audioquest Senior Director of Engineering.

Another car analogy? Would you buy a used car from that guy? :laughing:

3 Likes

I have no problem if somebody buys expensive cables. But does somebody have a clue what justifies these prices for speaker cables?

I could also sell a piece of copper with the justification, that I had to listen to it more then 100 hours. Therefor it is 25K.

Comparing speaker cables with Maybach lacks in my opinion. Speaker cables are more the tires of the Maybach and not the Maybach itself.

EDIT: I’m not talking about the WBC, but the Audioquest ones

1 Like

Do you trust a vendor that claims speaker cables need break-in and even comes up with a number of hours?

1 Like

For the price of the WBC cables it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

@Marian, please note my earlier message, and in particular, “… the OP only mentioned burn-in in response to another post, and never made any claims about this.”

1 Like

OP did initially mention burn in needed for the cables in original post. now OP doesn’t show that line.

No, your post is still ok. I deleted part of my original post as it was misunderstood and causing my reason for posting to be lost in all the controversy.

@Martin_Webster came along later. So that’s what caused the confusion.

So much trouble over nothing.

[Sigh]

1 Like