New streaming device from Primare - the NP5

Aha! But why?

/////

I dont know, but it will be bit-perfect.

Not sure what you are asking, but the NP5 Prisma is meant to work with not only the most current products, but also older products that may not have the capacity to work with digital input resolutions of 96 or 192. We want this model, and all other Primare products, to be able to work within virtually any system context,

1 Like

OK, you know your market, but I’m thinking those products are few and far between.
Probably I’m just considering the population of this forum.

Happy Holidays.

Err, how can anyone recommend it for roon when it is neither roon-ready nor roon-tested…? That clearly means it is currently not usable with roon.

It runs Roon RAAT as a beta and works.

1 Like

The term used, by Roon, is “Not Roon Certified.” Functionally it appears to do all it’s supposed to do but I imagine there are some final tweaks to be made before final approval & certification is granted. Similarly, Chromecast seems to work just fine.

That is true, however, there is distortion on 24/192 files that probably will be fixed when it gets Roon ready certified.

Peter -

I don’t believe this Primare device is a good fit for Roon.

Maybe this will be better for you. It’s advertised to work with Chromecast.

@xxx Hey, thanks. The problem with that is that it’s only USB out. I need a connection that will output to my AVR Yamaha RX-V2085–ie, coax or HDMI.

Otherwise, it is indeed a nice looking piece of kit!

The Stack Audio device was on my shortlist together with the Pro-Ject Stream box. Both Pi3 compute module based but with attention paid to their power. The Stack Audio device was of particular interest because I think I could have been able to get Ropieee on it. However it is expensive with a big chunk of its value sunk into a milled alloy casing. And frankly, as a secondary endpoint for a headphone rig I went with the Primare at over £300 less with a Black Friday discount.

1 Like

But the milled case is to reduce any air borne vibration effects.:laughing:

Welp, just heard from the distributor that the NP5 won’t be available in the USA until the second half of January, which sucks. At this point, I am strongly inclined to order an Allo Digione or Signature, unless you guys think that there is a compelling reason to wait. I guess I can live without a Chromecast. Plus, the Allo units are half the price of the NP5.

Thoughts?

We believe in inclusion, not exclusion, and not just the population of this forum, as we want as many people as possible to be able to experience high quality streaming connection and control, whether they have the latest high resolution gear or older products with digital inputs that will not be able to handle 192 or even 96 files. And as there are thousands of our own older products and millions of these devices from every manufacturer in the world in use, I would say not so few and far between. So with the new software, anyone should be able to use the NP5 with either native pass through or fixed digital output, as some DACs may sound best at a particular sampling rate than other rates.

What experience do you have with the NP5 Prisma that would lead you to this conclusion?

When you have the time, please write me at info@primare.net with details of the distortion and system setup to see if there is a solution to this, as there should not be distortion at 24/192 under normal conditions. Please note, our offices are closed for winter holidays until 7 January, so we will respond upon as soon as possible after that date. Terry, marketing Primare

Really? Maybe what’s needed is a new DAC rather than a streamer.

It’s just my opinion which I am free to give.

The market will tell whether this unit brings anything to the table.

Hi Peter, there are many opinions expressed in these forums and while they may have some relevance to the topic some are purely subjective and are not based on any actual experience of the devices under discussion.

You have made the decision that you are interested in the NP5 and I would respectfully suggest that you wait up for a couple of weeks and actually try a device. You have already done much research and may well be proven correct in your initial decision.

I have had my NP5 for nearly a month (at the front end of a $30K system) and while I have a few operational issues, the sound quality is remarkable and in my opinion worth the wait.

PRIMARE and their dealers have been really helpful in trying to resolve my issues and are highly recommended.

Best wishes. Paul

PS. I am using the NP5 with Roon & Chromecast.

@PixelPopper Thanks. Maybe I should just suck it up and wait another month. I’m not worried about the issues reported; just impatient at the delay in getting the product to market in the USA.

Maybe the owners like their DACS and don’t want to change, If you don’t need fixed digital output, just go with native pass through . Each for his own.