New streaming device from Primare - the NP5

Try living south of the equator …

In South Africa we simply don’t see stuff, half of the audio kit discussed here simply doesn’t make it here

Alas :smiling_imp:

Decided to build a rpi 3 hifiberry for now.

1 Like

But at least Primare has a distributor, http://www.skyaudio.co.za/
Even though site is under construction.

Interestingly, the PecanPi® Streamer website has published customer reviews claiming “significant improvements” in sound quality…?

They all try to make some similar claims with misbegotten user reviews…

Doesn’t change what I (and others) believe about streamers, any streamers.

Greed and fear.
Greed on the part of the device manufacturers.
Fear by the user that they will miss out on a SQ improvement.

Just presenting an alternate viewpoint, it’s up to the user to believe what they want to believe.

2 Likes

The exception makes the rule :grin:

I went with a 3b. Pecan pi is only usb out. I need digital coax.

Hello Terry!

I only get distortion (crackling voices) from time to time when using the Roon ready beta (not certified) on 24/192 files and when upsampling to 24/192 with Roon DSP. NP5 is set to 24/192 when i play those files. Sometimes I can play an entire album without any distortion and sometimes it starts from nowhere. The NP5 is connected to a NP30 and a Hegel H190 with built-in DAC. Same problem with both dacs, I have tried both outputs on the NP5 and different cables. I have also tried both wifi (5 GHz) and ethernet connection to my router which is an Asus Rt-ac86u with cusom firmware (Asuswrt-Merlin).

My HiFiBerry plays just fine, so no problem with my equipment.

That is why I wrote that the problem might be fixed when Roon ready. This is maybe a bug in the beta version.

No fear here Slim. I just wanted a little box to connect to a DAC with reliable WiFi for semi-portability. I use a streaming DAC, a Ropieee Pi with screen, an Apple TV and even my iPad with Bluetooth headphones. No fear, paranoia or belief. Just curiosity and practical solutions for my hobby.

1 Like

Understood.:smile:

Didn’t mean to give the impression that I thought streamers were worthless, just that buying a streamer to improve SQ is problematic, IMO.

3 Likes

Any news about Roon and primare?
I’ve seen, that primare removes an entry in there news about supporting roon soon.

But now, I’ve bought for my PRE35 DAC the prisma module and I’m coming interested in Roon.

1 Like

Pecan Pi is a streamer with Dac. So not just a streamer. Maybe you think Dac’s aren’t involving soundquality either?

The point is that streamers do not improve SQ.

Do DACs improve SQ? Well, you can’t have any output without a DAC, so I guess the answer is yes.

You’re replying to a post that’s last year.

Long time to wait to pick a fight. Not interested.

Roon Ready is on the device at the moment but not certified. I’d be very surprised if they back-pedalled on that.

Hi Everyone - please excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question but am I right in that the only way the NP5 can be used as a Roon Endpoint is via Chromecast?

I purchased the product on the assumption that it was Roon Ready not as I later found out - Roon Capable.

Are there plans for this device to not utilise Chromecast as a means to access Roon?

1 Like

Yes, as far as I understood, there are plans for RAAT.

RAAT is on the machine in Beta form. It may require an update for that to happen but my NP5 is used as an uncertified RAAT endpoint.

Thanks Henry - frustratingly, despite updating the NP5’s firmware upon installation a few weeks ago I don’t have the option of the NP5 appearing as RAAT end-point.

The dealer I purchased the unit from has advised me that RAAT functionality is on its way. I’m happy to give it a couple of months in the hope that it happens sooner rather than later.

I do wonder whether there’s value in Roon enforcing some controls to prevent manufacturers from using terms like Roon Capable. To my simple mind, it’s either Roon Ready or not.

It was to be Roon Ready by the end of March. I believe that has been pushed to the end of April. But it is still apparently on the way.

By coincidence I received an email from Primare yesterday, Roon is pretty much “Fully Functional” on the NP5, there are a few minor issues due to be fixed soon plus a firmware update is also due for release. Full Roon certification should follow, apparently the target date is “by the end of April.”

1 Like