New streaming device from Primare - the NP5

Progress! Now I just need my Pre35 Prisma to get certification…

2 Likes

Thanks for the Heads-up, after 15 months we got there :yawning_face::yawning_face:

1 Like

… and now listed on Roon’s Partners page

2 Likes

Hello,

I have a DAC Gustard x16.
It can make last unfold of MQA through coaxial input. (Rendering).
I made first unfold ( core decoding) in Roon and sent to Prisma NP5.
But the DAC shows that the Mqa stream is not rendering.
It is possible that NP5 do not have possibilities to send mqa stream with first unfold passthrough to DAC?
Or there is other reasons?

Thanks

If you don’t get a response here you might want to try the Primare users group on Facebook. Terry from Primare lurks there and is very responsive.

1 Like

Obviously to pass MQA through the NP5 needs to be bit perfect. The settings that should facilitate that will be:
In the Primare app go to settings
Select audio settings
Select Native and 192kHz
If that doesn’t work for you then the NP5 may not be fully bit perfect. It may be stripping away the MQA information.

1 Like

Yes, you were correct.
The answer from Primare:
Mantas, thanks for the additional details, but in relaying those to our development team they have reminded me that the NP5 Prisma is a Roon Ready device, but not an MQA device, so is unable to transmit the MQA signal from Roon to your DAC, resulting in Master file playback from Tidal will be limited to the primary unfold of 24/96kHz. With the hope that helps to clarify the situation. Terry.

Please try direct connecting the X16 to Roon Core USB port.
And experiment with both “Decoder and Renderer” and “Renderer Only” MQA capabilities.

I’ve had the NP5 for a couple weeks now and it’s great to use ROON at long last on my main system.
Sound quality is very good using an Ares II as the dac.
My only gripe is that the design brief alludes to it being able to handle DSD. It does not.
There are no options on ROON or the prisma app to allow this.
Very disappointing

Strange. My little Allo DigiOne Player streams DSD64 (via DoP) and MQA over S/PDIF just fine (verified via the display on an iFi Audio NEO iDSD DAC). Not as attractive or compact as the NP5, but I’d be surprised if there was a significant difference in sound between the two.

1 Like

If you look at the NP5 it has a very specific role within the Primare ecosystem. Adding Roon capability brings that to them and conversely brings the NP5 to us. From there it simply becomes choice, and like the Nucleus, people have been known to choose solutions based on size, looks and plug/play capabilities.