New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

I think Roon is exploring that.

My annual Qobuz subscription is up in a couple of weeks. I wonder if I should go monthly?

1 Like

Shall we have a vote?

3 Likes

I hope you are correct, sir. Is it just that you believe, or do you have some inking?

And Roon 2.0 requires internet connection for search happening in their cloud server that gathering databases dumping from Tidal/Qobuz plus possibility for future streaming services integration. That’s make sense.

AirPlay doesn’t support lossless multichannel audio so that’s you Apple TV out. Sonos don’t support multichannel music files.

I am not interested in AirPlay. I understand that is a 2.0 Apple centric playback interface. I am wanting Roon to stream MCH via Roon Bridge with playback over HDMI. Seriously, if Roon can make ARC work across thousands of miles with all the electronic handshakes that requires, MCH from my basement to my LR seems much simpler.

1 Like

Your post mentions nothing about Roon Bridge you mention your ARC zone and Apple TV. Are you connecting something to the hdmi in of the ARC that’s running Roon Bridge? I believe the Sonos ARC only supports hdmi audio in via arc or earc which no bridge device will be using so can’t see that working. But Roon Bridge can handle multichannel via HDMI as long as you map it all correctly.

As far as I know, Roon Bridge will not pass MCH. I had a Mac mini set up as a Bridge playing out to a HDMI input on an AVR, but Roon only offered me the “downmix” option. I do not now have an AppleTV connected to my Sony TV. But I know the device will send MCH through my eARC system to the Sonos. Internal apps produce 5.1 audio to the Sonos now. If you know how to set up a 5.1 bridge, please enlighten me, and others.

This from the Roon KB seems to indicate Roon Bridge isn’t the issue;

“ Multichannel output can be accomplished with:

1. Locally connected audio devices connected to Roon, Roon Bridge, or Roon Server using

2. ASIO (recommended)

3. ALSA

4. CoreAudio

5. WASAPI

6. Roon Ready devices that support multi-channel playback

7. HQPlayer”

I suspect the devil is in the details of how everything is hooked up and settings.

Have you tried posting in the Support thread to get an answer from Roon (hopefully)?

You can’t play to an eARC input without an eARC compatible output so it wouldn’t work from a Mac without going into a standard HDMI input on an AVR, it won’t work on the Sonos without going into the TV first as it only supports e/ARC and the TV would need to support lossless multichannel pcm itself to allow pass through . Apple TV doesn’t support hires lossless multichannel either only up to 48k.

I doubt that any of the major services (Apple, Amazon, Spotify) will be on Roon within the next year. Is there another service that you think might convince you to drop Qobuz?

I’ve trialed Amazon and Deezer. A few years ago I was subscribed to Spotify.
I’m currently subscribed to Apple Music (through my Apple One subscription), Tidal Hifi+ and Qobuz.

Of the 3 I’m barely using Apple Music. Tidal and Qobuz are my to go to streaming services. They have all the music that I’m listening to, next to my own local collection.

Unless you are looking for music that Qobuz doesn’t have, I would stick with Qobuz if I were you.

3 Likes

I’m monthly with everything to be honest. I know it’s more but still valuable.

Apple Music CarPlay is wonderful. Qobuz and Apple Music for me. I have a Tidal Hi-Fi account but don’t use it as much.

1 Like

Thanks, though my experience tells me that it does not work. However, I am deep into the Appleverse, so ASIO is not only unavailable to me, but unknown to me as well.

I did connect a Roon Bridge installed Mac mini to an AVR, hoping to send 5.1 from my Mac mini core to the Bridge then on to the receiver, but I could not get the audio settings to hold. After a day of failure I gave up.

it may well be true that the devil is in the setup details, but I am beyond the stage of spending for experimentation. I posed this question then, but got no takers at the time. I guess I will just wait until some intrepid pioneer figures it out.

Thanks for your interest and you help!

1 Like

Older Macs support MCH up to 196/24, but the new ones don’t. I passed on a Mac mini M1 for just that reason.

If I connect a BluRay player via HDMI to my TV, the eARC output plays MCH audio from the disc back to my Sonos Arc. That is what I am hoping can be done, minus the video. I know well the audio limits of the AppleTV. I own three.

But my 2012 Mac mini can pass hires lossless. And I keep hoping someone will show me the way, not just the obstacles, of streaming my files for MCH playback without a huge cash outlay.

Thanks for your input

It should just work from your mac to the TV unless it’s giving false edid which may affect Roon? but would not of thought so. It might well be the route via the TV and it having no video feed that’s giving by Roon an issue. All I know is Roon bridge worked fine to my avr when I tried it out. I don’t have it in use any more as I don’t care for multichannel I just tested it out with a demo track to see if it worked.

Well Apple Classical is here and in hi res (well by 28 March) will this hurt Qobuz subscriptions ?

No. 10 char

1 Like