New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

No Apple Music didn’t why would this it has all the same limitations as Apple Music I imagine. No native integration, limited to AirPlay to stream to existing streamers a be likely aac as it is for Apple Music. Bit perfect lossless only via an attached DAC to iPhone and iPad and none bitperfect via Mac.

And, initially, it will only be for iphone users. No ipad.

Why I suspect Music will be added to Roon:

Music Classical will be released on March 28th: Apple Music Classical launching on March 28, here's a first look - 9to5Mac

This type of metadata-rich based service/catalog is right up Roon’s alley.

• • The world’s largest classical music catalog with over 5 million tracks and works from new releases to celebrated masterpieces.
    • Thousands of exclusive albums.
    • The ability to search by composer, work, conductor, or even catalog number, and find specific recordings instantly.
    • The highest audio quality (up to 192 kHz/24 bit Hi-Res Lossless) with thousands of recordings in immersive spatial audio.
    • Complete and accurate metadata to make sure you know exactly what work and which artist is playing.
    • Thousands of editorial notes including composer biographies, descriptions of key works, and more.
3 Likes

The new Sonos ERA will also be available on march 28. Is this a coincidence?

Jim,

See Apple Music’s announcement for Classical Music. After being with Roon from the beginning I am moving to Apple Music. It’s just easier for me and it works.

1 Like

Thanks. I already have Apple Music and saw that.

I know Roon has been talking to Apple about integrating.

Ok…but has Apple been talking to Roon…

3 Likes

I’m concerned that it’s only available for iPhone. Until it either integrates with Roon or offers a stand alone app for MacOS I’m going to wait.

1 Like

Yes the CEO. I asked the question at the livestream they had with audioholics.

1 Like

I however don’t think he said Music specifically though right?

I will tell you why Apple will never ever ever allow integration with Roon.

In the current market it’s all about the user data and who owns it. If Apple allowed people to use Roon as the front interface, they would not be able to collect the data they need to sell you more stuff.

So no. It ain’t gonna happen. This is not a a technical or a usability issue. It’s purely a business issue

4 Likes

Why ??? Only on iPhone?

Totall agree. I know no other company as obsessed about controlling the end to end user experience end to end as Apple is. They have always done it in the last decades, to the point of being user hostile (e.g. forcing Apple hardware, refusing integrations and only allowing for AirPlay, not allowing third party players).

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I can’t really see them giving up the user experience entirely and accepting to disappear behind the Roon interface.

2 Likes

That’s why it always works so well.

1 Like

Tim Cook’s response would likely be that you have to have an iPhone anyway, and for the endpoints you should use AirPlay. Worse case you can buy a separate iPhone, and connect that to your DAC [only slight sarcasm I am pretty sure that is the thought]

Indeed, pros and cons I just don’t see them changing the way that brought them so much money. Especially now that with the launch of Apple Music Classical they spent effort and money to directly compete with Roon.

No, why should they?

Apple Music………not gonna happen
Spottyfied…………nope
Deezer…………….what’s that?

It’s time now for the next big thing…….yep

The Steven Wilson hires remasters will be awesome :clap:

6 Likes

Spotify, Amazon, maybe Tidal… Roon? I do not think they care so much

I accidentally got off an iPhone (7 years ago) and used an Android, my phone time dropped incredible. So I never bought a new iPhone.

I’ll probably get a used one just to test this

From my point of view It didn’t work as a business until they refocus on another market. They were doing pro tools but never got to the no 1 place (maybe with Logic, but that is out of my experience). Then iPod and years later iPhone opened a new market with no pro demands. So they dropped the pro tools and build up another way on thinking. Not starting from what best hardware they can produce but from what best user experience they can produce. And looks like it is working like they wanted.

1 Like