New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

OK I’ll pretend to understand ?

Lets wait and see

Thanks @Mediahound for posting this. What a great interview. Well worth a watch all the way through. Great to hear from one of the Co-founders of Roon themselves.

Plus, to all naysayers about Roon never integrating with Apple Music because Roon’s subscriber base is too small or how Apple Music will never be interested to give Roon the level of technical access to data and music library, etc. Well, this has finally been debunked by Roon’s Co-founder.

In summary:

Spotify: a definitive no on the grounds that they want to keep users in their app (likely down to data harvesting and the revenue Spotify gets from Facebook for user data).

Amazon: probably going to be integrated with Roon soon by the sounds of it.

Apple Music:

Enno (quoted from this interview)…

“We’ve had some fantastic discussions with Apple Music, that’s a great team and they’re really interested in what we’re doing. There are some technical constraints there, related to the way Apple handles its playback that we have not yet figured out how we can possibly, you know, accommodate. So that’s a discussion that’s ongoing. Unlike Spotify, with Apple Music we do have a productive conversation going on there, it’s just that there’s this kind of technical gotcha that we need to try to find a way around at some point.”

Is Dolby Atmos support in the pipeline?

I can’t say specifically. I would say it’s certainly an aspiration, let’s say that, but I can’t make any commitment beyond that at this point.

10 Likes

You are right but a much small platform Idagio gives equal or better way to search classical music than Apple classical
I talk to them suggesting to incorporate its data base in roon
It will be a great improvement in Roon to have Idagio as a new service
With the huge smount of disks it is often difficult to find what you want to ear about a music period, a type of music, a group or orchestra, a instrument , composer etc
Some times I go girst to Idagio to gind the record For a given period snd composer snd once identified I turn back to roon to incorporate it in my library
Roon is not good at all in that type of searching

3 Likes

Yeah that was my question I asked in that webinar. Hoping Apple Music integration comes as well.

I can careless about Spotify. I feel that app is not designed for audiophiles. More for kids, maybe I’m being arrogant. But I did a project on all 3 of these services (Tidal, Spotify and Apple Music). More college students leaned on playlists only as their main source of listening.

5 Likes

It took me 10 minutes on their Spotify iphone app to find out where the new music section was.

2 Likes

Yikes! Is it still buried somewhere under the playlist sections. I haven’t seriously used it since 2015. I know they added some TikTok like discovery mode. Which I think is kind of cheesy (I like TikTok but dont think needs to be on my streaming app).

1 Like

Yeah I dont use Spotify anymore . Apple is a much better app. I just wish they would come up with an Apple Connect.

4 Likes

I am sure next Airplay iteration will have full handoff like Spotify

1 Like

One thing I do with apple for now is any playlist I need I put through soundiiz to automatically update. So it shows up on my Roon

3 Likes

Sure hope so.

I like playlists and some aspects of Spotify, I guess I’m a kid!! :joy::joy:

I wish Tidal integration was better. I’m not holding my breath for a new service!

3 Likes

Well Spotify’s playlists are great so I agree with you there.

They will get to hi -res and lossless streaming sometime this century.

I heard the playlists are great on Spotify. I have not been able to try it.

Yeah with Apple Music they are great with playlists and I can move them over to Qobuz or Tidal.

You definitely listen to music differently than a typical kid out there. Especially with Roon. Many people i jnow have never played a full album.

To be fair the origin of the the word / term album in music has a lot in common with the modern Spotify playlist that you might think. In that it was originally just a leather bound ‘album’ (like a photo album) for holding a collection of 78rpm records.

https://ksoy.co.uk/products/capital-10-record-album-hard-back-for-10-inch-78rpm-shellac-records-3

Also not sure that playlists are a lesser format or even ‘something only the kids listen to’. I grew up listening to cassette based mixtapes and DJ sets, some of which had a huge amount of thought given to the selection and order of tracks.

In fact I can think of many cases where the selection of individual tracks from multiple albums (alongside 7" & 12" singles) made into a single playlist or mixtape made for a far more enjoyable musical experience than listening to any one of those individual albums — which often only contained one or two standout tracks alongside a lot of filler.

Also where do you draw the line between a compilation album and playlist? What happens if a playlist, compiled by an artist, only contains tracks produced by that artist? Is it still a playlist?

How do you pigeonhole a continually evolving playlist made up of exclusive tracks alongside other artists music that itself has the notoriety of a commercial album from that artist.

The LP Album as we know it, is an invention of the of the mid 20th century music industry. It’s a packaging format, constrained by commercial needs and the limit of a physical format.

8 Likes

All true…but the artists turned the album into something much more…an art form! I would say that 99% of my listening is to full albums. Many albums have themes or tell stories or at least have music intended to be listened to in a particular order.

If the playlist went away, I would hardly notice…

8 Likes

I listen to both, so not an argument for one being better than another, I’m glad both exist.

But I think your statement equally applies to a lot of playlists / mixtapes, also created by artists as an art form.

2 Likes

I was addressing your assertion that albums were just a packaging format constrained by a physical format…

I don’t really listen to artists that use the playlist the way you describe. That is a relatively modern tool used by pop artists. I don’t listen to modern pop artists besides what I might hear on the radio.

I perhaps was a bit too harsh. I do use playlists a lot but when a new album I want to listen to is out I definitely listen to the entire album. Then select songs I like to put on a top 2023 playlist of the year.

But I do have friends that can’t sit and listen to an album, not even a compilation.

You actually have a solid point on this. I didn’t not know that the original concept of an album. With a lot of music out these days, sometimes playlists are the best way to discover.

IDAGIO offers booklets, that’s what I need.

The same is true for many playlists, mixtapes, DJ sets or what have you, that were lovingly compiled.

True for playlists that are just a random collection of songs that somehow are not jarring. Good playlists (etc.) can be very insightful, explore musical topics, developments, or other strands that connect songs/tracks together.

Good radio DJs, for instance, like John Peel, did this decades ago.

It’s just that Spotify pattern matchers that rely on statistics are not a replacement for someone with a purpose who knows what they are doing.

6 Likes