New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

It would be nice if Roon at least pulled in the data from Internet Archive for album identification.

No, copyright law in the US specifically excludes data like this: Feist Publications, Inc., v. Rural Telephone Service Co. - Wikipedia.

(In reference to the metadata, not the music data files.)

Hmm, good point. I suppose it could be argued that it’s not Roon using the content, but rather the user. After all, the user is the one paying fees to Tidal and Qobuz, and selecting what to stream from those services, not Roon. Just as when I stream from Archive.org, it’s not my ISP or my computer vendor that’s involved, it’s me.

May well be, but on the other hand Roon as a commercial entity has some “gain” by offering it. I don’t know, it’s one for the lawyers.

To discover new music I often use Soundcloud. That would be a very nice additional service to integrate in Roon.

2 Likes

Has anyone played with Sonos app and checked the Apple Music integration? If so wouldn’t that be the same working model that Roon should use?

No it’s not at all. It works purely on Sonos hardware as Apple sanctioned this it was many moons ago when AM wasn’t as big or available. It requires authentication via the Apple Musc app too as It’s just a window using the their api you get no Roon features so no use for a headless core especially Rock or Nucleus. It’s almost like they just embedded the Apple App in thier own. It’s also like all third parties using the web api limited to AAC.

I would give up on AM it’s not going to happen unless Apple bow down on their lock-in. Which is unlikely.

1 Like

As I called it some time ago about it not necessarily being one of the big Western services.

2 Likes

What’s KKBlox?

What’s a Google?

.sjb

7 Likes

Korean streaming platform, it’s the East’s Tidal or Qobuz

2 Likes

It means no one in the US will have access.

This will be interesting.

This community muddles through in English by assuming that non-English speakers can get by one way or another - either through fluency or online translation. I don’t believe that will fly with KKBOX subscribers whose native languages are Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, etc. It’s not just a language issue, it’s a cultural issue. I just don’t get how the current support and moderation models will work. Who will even know if the non-English language threads that I expect will show up have gone completely toxic? Who will understand culture-appropriate moderation strategies?

I wonder if this will end up being just one more area in which Roon overextends by underestimating the complexity of an undertaking. I certainly get the desire to scale into new markets but Roon feels spread so thin already and going into this market is much, much more complicated than just adding another western service.

I hope it goes well.

4 Likes

One would hope they have added someone from support in that area. They already cover different zones as they are all remote. But if not I agree it has the potential to backfire.

Some of you act like Roon management doesn’t have the sense to come in out of the rain. I’m sure they have this KKBox integration well thought out. It’s not something we need to worry about.

6 Likes

The world is much bigger than the US. I don’t know, but doubt KKBox would give us anything we don’t already get from Tidal and/or Qobuz. That’s why I don’t get why people are clammering for Roon to integrate more streaming services in the US.

EDIT: I get Apple Music free from Verizon. It’s a great fall back for when Roon ARC stops working, but adds nothing I don’t already get from Tidal and Qobuz. Adding Apple Music to Roon does nothing for me unless I want to drop Tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like

Options are always great. We mainly want apple added :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I have a fairly sizable playlist in Apple Music of albums not on Tidal or Qobuz. I mostly use AM on the go. I know if it drops out my cell connection is truly in the dirt. Also if the net goes down at home I can still play my local music in AM.

3 Likes

Me too. AM is great in the car with CarPlay.

3 Likes

Multiple Roon users:

“Hope its Apple Music”
“Roon needs Apple Music”
“Apple Music is the best”.

Roon:

“Helllo KKBOX”

I hope the new arrival KKBOX users enjoy the Roon experience as much as the rest of us. Big market for Roon out there and certainly bigger than the echo chamber of this forum.

2 Likes