New to Roon with some doubts

Hi there…starting today I managed to start my Roon trial after several weeks of issues launching the software. I have been playing today and I have a couple of question. My setup is running the core in my macbook air (Core I5, 4GB RAM), mesh wifi through TPlink Deco devices with solid rates and remotes on iphone and ipad with several Sonos speakers.

1.- The content of the discover feature is totally different in the iremote app (phone app) than the one in the macbook air app. The macbook air is lot more rich in content and engaging to read and learn while the iphone app is very basic , in my opinion is just kind of album recommendation like the one in spotify but I really use the remote as the main way to consume music, not the macbook air. Is supposed to work this way?. Am I missing something?.

2.- I have several connection issues with my Sonos devices…every now and then there are drops in the sound and all of a sudden lost connection saying “transport lost connection with the device”.

Any help is appreciated.

EDP

Hi Enrique,

the phone app has a limited display compared to the ipad or desktop apps. This is purely on account of the available screen real estate available to show content. There is also no DSP controls available from the phone interface for the same reason. It is just the way it is for the moment, though I believe that developments are underway in this area for future updates.

With regard to your Sonos issues, these are known issue unfortunately. Roon are looking into it but until they can reliably reproduce the issues, progress will be limited on fixing the issues. See this part of the forum for further information:
https://community.roonlabs.com/c/audio-products/sonos

1 Like

Thanks Anthony…actually I was using the iPhone app not the iPad so I will give it the iPad app a shot.

Also many thanks for the link to the Sonos issue.

Regards!

Anthony…one more…but it is supposed to render different content if you click discover in the Ipad app or in the Macbook App at the same time?..at least for me is showing totally different content if I discover from de laptop than the Ipad at the same time.

Thanks again.

Discover is a loosey-goosey, ad hoc recommendation system. Not at all like the other browsers. It’s all fun. Not even repeatable on a single device. I did Discover, then Albums, then Discover, and got totally different Discover results.

Thanks Anders. A new one…sometimes Roon shows just part of the Tidal albums that are shown through the Tidal app…not quite sure what im doing wrong.

Thanks.

You need to describe the situation.

For example from the Tidal app for INXS I see 17 albums and some additional singles, and within Roon the same artist shows only 8 albums…bottomline Roon is retrieving almost half of the albums Tidal has available.

It may not show Tidal albums that are in your collection.

Uhmmm…that could be a reason…but there is way to show all the Tidal albums from Roon?..what I have maybe may be of less quality so would be nice to play the best one no?. I searched Jack Johnson and it seems that you are right it only show the ones that are not in my library but what I have in my library is mp3!..so maybe the only way is to delete my album from my library?.

Ok, go to your MP3 version and click the Versions tab. Then add whatever to your library…

Just looked, plenty of MQA Versions to be had.

Thanks Chris…that one do the trick…If I add the Tidal album to my library it will download it or is simply a view of the album but it is still on the cloud?.

It will be added to your roon library and you can play it

Yes, still in the cloud but it will become your primary album unless you choose it not to be.

Thanks you guys…Interesting…so at the end of the day a best practice should be to leave only the MP3/Flacs allbums on my library that are not available in Tidal and add to my library the ones in Tidal?. Less storage required and seamless experience?. am I rihgt?.

Sounds good to me. Once you play Tidal and especially MQA on a decent player you won’t want mp3’s As your first choice.
Keep your flacs safe and in your library just prioritise the best quality versions and that will leave things tidy.
Back up your music often and more than one copy.

Thanks…the only downside I see is that the radio feature is only available only with local library not Tidal…and I have to say that Im loving the Radio feature in Roon…what i have seen so far is that the radio feature will only play local files adn actually will start only if you were playing a local file (not Tidal)…would be nice to have Tidal integration to make the experience even more eclectic.

Tidal integration to Radio is under development, see this thread:

It is worth noting as you are new to Roon that continual development such as this is part of the package. Roon doesn’t stand still, but please do not ask for timeframes on when features are going to be delivered; they are not given.

1 Like

Guys another quick doubt here. I have been experience some intermittent issues with my IOs (iPads and iPhones) Remotes connecting to my Roon Core.

My Roon Core is running on a Mac Mini Late 2014 I5 4GB Ram via wifi. The wifi network is a Mesh TPLink Deco Wifi @150MB. I have pretty good signal and download speed across all the house.

I tried reinstalling the IOs remotes and re-starting my Roon core a couple of times.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Enrique,

perhaps you could describe the issues more specifically? For example…

what the actual issue(s) is/are?
what messages are appearing, if any?

Assuming the issue is that you are losing connection to the core:
Is it happening with one device predominantly or equally with any device and happening to the same degree in all areas of the house?
Are there any moments specifically when you lose connection, eg when waking up the device from sleep?
What do you have to do to regain connection?
Etc…

I probably won’t be savvy enough to help, but perhaps one of the more knowledgeable guys will be able to step in :slight_smile: