New update of Roon : audio analysis returns to 0

@support There was a new update of Roon. So I clicked to install it but the audio analysis that was at 5800 pieces analysed returned to 0. It took days to get to 5800 and now the update forces the analysis to rebegin? There must be something to do about this. Thank you.

Thanks for reaching out, @Rego!

So we can better understand what may be happening here, may I ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Additionally, so we can get some greater insight into this, please see the following:

• Before the update was analysis completed? Or was it still in progress?
  • How many total tracks are in your library?
  • Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Library?

Thanks!
Dylan

May I throw in that I suffered the same, not a fault, but 1-3 seconds getting it wrong what I was shown.

I would suggest to turn 0 from xxxxxx
into xxxx / ‘total tracks’ to be analyzed

where xxxx is in both cases the remaining enqueued titles to be processed

@dylan Well, before telling you all the details of my setup, may I ask you another question that will maybe answer to my question. Is the audio analysis of all the pieces of my music rebegins to none when I restart my pc for any reason as update from Microsoft or any other restarting reason? Does that mean that my pc have to run 24 hours a day always? Or is there a kind of memory of Audio analysis that Roon keeps to avoid to rebegin at zero at every restarting? Thank you.

Hey @Rego,

For the most part, once things are analyzed, we don’t re-analyze them unless we make a change that requires is. Even after rebooting the PC it shouldn’t re-analyze your entire library.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan
Unfortunately, Roon re-analyzes everything at each reboot.
I am a new user of Roon. There must be something wrong in my settings. What should I look at?
Thanks

Hey @Rego,

Apologies for the difficulties here. So I can better help you out, please see the following:

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Library?

How many total tracks are in your library?

Can you share some details about your setup, as mentioned above?

Thanks!
Dylan

Hey @dylan
Here is the screenshot asked.
Setup : Windows 10 64 bits Intel core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 12 GBRAM NVIDIA

Hope you will find something to help me. I am in the trial period and I will not subscribe if the audio analysis is always rebeginning at zero.
Thank you very much for your help.

Hey @Rego,

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hello @dylan,
I have done what you said :

Reboot your Core machine.
Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
Reboot your Core machine once more.
Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

The timestamps at each reboot rebegan to zero. Now it is at 62/117496.

I have a SSD boot drive and hdds internal and external.

Now, please, what is the next step?

Thanks, @Rego!

I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account. Once the diagnostics report reaches our servers I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team. Once they analyze the report and provide their feedback I’ll be sure to update you.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hey @Rego,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan,
I hope this is what you want : https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcsrbh09j3cduwf/Roon.7z?dl=0
Tell me if you can reach it.
Rego

Thanks @Rego,

I’ll pass these logs along to the team and will be sure to update you once they’ve given their feedback.

Thanks!
Dylan

Hey @Rego,

The team finished their analysis and I wanted to reach out with an update. Upon review of the logs you’ve shared, it doesn’t appear that the same files are being analyzed upon each reboot, but rather new files are being analyzed.

According to the logs, it looks like you have a sizable library, and libraries of this size can take time to fully complete. Once fully completed, audio analysis should not happen upon each reboot.

To speed things up, you can go to Settings > Library and increase the Background Audio Analysis speed. Once you do this you can let it run overnight and you should see this complete much more quickly.

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi @dylan,
Thank you for your answer and explanations.
So this is kind of good news : the whole process to analyze is not rebeginning each time.
But I do not know why it is written 0 instead the number of files already analyzed.
Also, there is a problem If I increase the Background Audio Analysis speed : the CPU temperature is getting high and I just do not want to force the CPU too much. I think it will be dangerous to force the speed… So it will take weeks for Roon to analyze my files; this is kind of troubling a litte bit.
Thank you.

I don’t think you need to be too concerned. As the Knowledge Base article says:

Audio Analysis takes place automatically. The entire library is analyzed in the background, and when you start playback of an un-analyzed track, audio analysis is performed on demand.

So even if you do play tracks that have not yet been analyzed by the background process, these will be analyzed on the fly when you play them.

Hello Geoff,
That is a good way to see the situation. Thank you.

Hello @dylan
Is it normal that on my SSD C the Roon server is of 14GIG? This is quite big,
Thank you

Hey @Rego,

Database size varies based on the content in your collection. As mentioned above, you have a decent sized library, and so there is a lot of metadata and images stored in the database for all of these tracks/albums.

Thanks!
Dylan