New user unable to get started with additional music on a another Mac [Resolved]

Hi @Andrew_McMurdo ---- Thank you for touching base with me and verifying that information. Apologies for the confusion.

I am going to be sending you a PM momentarily so you can see how I have this configuration setup on my end.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Haven’t seen any PM from you but am now happily using Roon and Tidal with Core and storage set up on lounge Mac and control via Remote on both Macbook and office Macmini. No immediate need for extra storage but can add USB drive or NAS at later date if not possible to use second computer HDD.
Andrew

Hi @Andrew_McMurdo — Thank you for the follow up and update. I am glad to hear things are now “stable”. Happy listening!

-Eric

FYI: PM

Curious, what was the final resolution?

Happily using Roon and Tidal with Core and storage set up on lounge Mac and control via Remote on both Macbook and office Macmini. No immediate need for extra storage but can add USB drive or NAS at later date if not possible to use second computer HDD (not had a definitive answer on that point but my experience suggests not possible).

Just a thought (and remember I’m not a Mac person) but do you have to enable CIFS (SMB) on Macs?

smb is enabled, just checked and tried again. Error messages include “…unexpected error”, “…you are not authorised”, “…invalid network path”, and a few others which I forget.

Hi Eric, An update…after a re-installation of Roon and much trial and error finally succeeded in “add network share” screen to point to office MacMini as originally intended. The key was:-

“smb://10.100.41.155/music/share”

This is repeatable and does not need username or password. Substituting “hostname.local” (as found on the system preferences/share/fileshare screen) for 10.100.41.155 does not work. The examples on the screen are misleading.

Now have storage on the office Mac and core on the lounge Mac and working OK.

Only just seen your PM …I don’t know how to send a PM…and can send screen shots if still useful but I assume no longer necessary.

Thank you.