No audio device detected and random stopping events

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac Core 17 16 mb RAM 1TB Fusion

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi high-speed (50 mbs) with NAS plugged into ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Metrum Ambre, Apogee Duet2

Description Of Issue

Roon playback stops randomly and frequently, regardless of queue state, promoting a MANAGE AUDIO DEVICES/NO AUDIO DEVICES FOUND error message, requiring restart of playback on core machine several flights of steps away. Network has been tested and working perfectly. Roon core machine restarted often and all remotes updated to latest version. Have experimented with grouping and ungrouping zones. New issue following latest update.

Hi @Kirkawall,

Does this issue occur with all endpoints? You mention the Metrum and Apogee above — Does it occur with both even when not grouped?

If you play to System Output does the same issue occur?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, occurs with or without grouping, Note: the core machine is linked to the Ambre. Only a remote is linked to the Duet. But it makes no difference which output is used.

Hi @Kirkawall,

Did you have a chance to do this test?

Does the same behavior occur?

Hi,

Running test again. When I did it yesterday the same issues occurred – playback stops randomly on the core machine and the remotes, grouped or not, and no remote is able to start playback, since the “no audio zone” message appears. Basically, unless playback is started on the core machine, it can’t be started at all, and when it stops (randomly, not at the end of a track, album or queue), it can’t be restarted except at the core – and so it goes.

Hope you have backed up your Roon library…

Yep. Always.

Have run your suggested test again. Played to system output and yes, same thing happened. Playback halted mid-album and now seeing “Manage audio devices” blue box.

Hi @Kirkawall,

Thanks for confirming that this also happens with System Output.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Okay, happened sometime between 11:50 AM and 12:30 PM today (I am on call so can’t be more specific). Playback stopped, NO AUDIO DEVICES message appeared.

And once again, cutting off randomly mid-track at 3:02 this aft.

Thanks, @Kirkawall.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi,

Thanks for that – Just tried this morning and got around 2 mins of playback before it shut down. Will keep at it.

regards,

Hi,

Any updates or suggestions for fixes?

regards,

It seems like the issues you are having is really simliar to my own (see this topic Roon stops playing music)

I never found a solution… still having issues. Not really sure if it’s a Roon problem or a MacOS problem. Interested to see if you are able to figure out a solution…

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in. I have never found a solution either, and either it seems did Roon. Shortly after informing me that they had enabled diagnostics on my system and would be able to offer a fix this thread went dark and Roon stopped updating or replying to repeated emails. Having stumped up for a lifetime subscription for a format I now barely use, I’m pretty disappointed. A cautionary tale, I guess.

Hi @Dylan – 2 months on and still unable to run Roon properly, despite having installed a new router, done extensive trouble-shooing on there networl and run Audirvana smoothly using all the same settings. Did the diagnostics your set up in April yield a solution?

Hi @Kirkawall,

Apologies for the ongoing troubles here!

I spoke with the team about this and they’re hoping they can get some additional data to see if things are any different in the diagnostics report on the latest version of Roon.

• Can you confirm that you’re running the latest version?
  • Can you reproduce this issue once more and make a note of the time that the error occurs as well as the track that is playing at that time?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.