No Audio Device Found

@support

I’ve posted a couple of replies with completed troubleshooting information. I would still appreciate assistance trying to figure out what is going on when I try to run the Core on my Mac and it won’t find the audio device. To recap, on the MacMini I get the “manage audio devices” upon startup button and when I select that I don’t see my audio device in the list unless I unplug/plug back in the network cable to the MacMini. Doesn’t matter if the network cable is connected direct to the Mac or going through the Luxul switch, same issue. When I run the Core on my Windows PC I have no such issue and the MacMini running as remote also connects without issue.

More information about my system:

Roon Version 1.4 (build 300) stable (64 bit)
The Core is currently installed on my PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM. The Mac is currently running Roon as a remote and it also connects to the audio device without issue.

The Mac Mini is my primary computer and is a Mid 2011 running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6, Intel Core i5 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM

My music is stored on a QNAP TS-251 NAS, Intel 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 2 x Western Digital Red 6TB drives.

The music files are a combination of Apple Lossless (ALAC) and FLAC, approximate number of tracks is 60,000+ if I have Roon track both the ALAC and FLAC folders. Right now I’m only tracking the ALAC folder and the number of tracks lists as 46,644.

My network is a Netgear CM600 modem connected to a Luxul XWR-1750 router and the PC and MacMini are connected to the router via a Luxul XGS-1005 5 port gigabit switch. CAT6 cabling connects everything together, nothing is running wirelessly. As I’ve stated the problem with the MacMini happens whether it is connected directly to the router or through the Luxul switch. The PC worked immediately being connected through the 5 port switch.

Finally, my output on either computer is to my NAD D1050 DAC/Headphone amplifier, latest firmware v3.1 installed. It is currently connected to the Windows PC. Once it is identified by Roon it plays flawlessly.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

Hello @SJC,

Do you have any firewall software installed on the Mac Mini? A firewall may be included as part of an anti-virus suite, so if you have anti-virus installed please check the settings for that as well.

Just to confirm, when the Mac Mini is being used as the core, none of the outputs or devices of the windows PC are shown in the networked section of your Audio settings until you unplug and replug the ethernet on your Mac Mini?

-John

John,

No third party anti-virus software installed.

When the Mac is used as the core, when I open Roon the Manage Audio Devices button would show up and after selecting that, the only option that showed up under the Audio section was the option to install the HQ Player. At the start of this happening on the Mac I never had Roon installed on the Windows PC so nothing from that side would have shown. At some point I did add Roon to the Windows PC as a remote and with the Mac still the core I think the Windows side outputs and devices did show up but not the NAD on the Mac side. Honestly I’d have to recreate the scenario again as I just don’t remember exactly about the Windows side.

But with the Windows machine as the core everything works fine, its just not my ideal situation because the Windows PC is rarely in use.

And to answer the other part of the question, with the Mac as the core the only way to get my audio device (NAD DAC) to show up was to unplug and replug the network cable to the MacMini.

I checked the Mac OS firewall and Roon is in the “allow incoming connections” list.

Hello @SJC,

Are you running any other applications that involve audio on your Mac Mini while you are using it as the Roon Core? There may be an issue with another program or device interfering with Roon’s ability to talk to the Mac audio device manager at the operating system or kernel level. The resetting of the network may cause this process to release it’s grip on the audio subsystem on the Mac Mini and allow Roon the access it expects. Try closing or disabling any applications that involve audio or networking use and see if that resolves the issue.

I have also enabled diagnostics on your account so our techs can try to determine what could be causing this behavior to occur. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core devices a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

-John

Thanks, regarding the diagnostic program, are you recommending I revert the core back to the Mac Mini so it will send logs from the Mac, since the core running on the Windows machine works.

I have the following programs installed on the Mac, but not necessarily all are used:
iTunes (never use)
Decibel (audio)
Sonos (but I have no Sonos players installed)
VLC
Wondershare Video Converter
cTiVo (a program to transfer video from a connected TiVo)

Hello @SJC,

If you’d like to try and troubleshoot this Mac audio device issue further, we’d need to reproduce the issue that is occurring when you run the Mac Mini as the core so we can take a look at the logs. However, if running the core on the Windows machine fixes the issue and provides acceptable performance, that may be the best solution going forward.

If you do decide to try the Mac Mini as the core again, respond to this thread with the date and time that you encounter the issue so we can zero in on the issue in your logs.

-John

Hi John,

I have transferred the Core function back to the Mac Mini on Tuesday March 6th at 7:17pm. Let me know if you can see the diagnostics from this time.

Hello @SJC,

Let me know the approximate time you encounter a “No Audio Device Found” error with the NAD so that the tech team will be able to zero in on the issue.

-John

It was last night at the time listed in my previous reply. 3/6/18 at 7:17pm.

Thanks,

And again right now, 3/7/18 10:44am

Hello @SJC,

I have requested new logs from your Mac Mini. The next time Roon is active it should receive the diagnostic request. I will check the timestamps for any indication of what is causing this behavior.

Also, please check and make sure that under the device setup window for the device that you have “Exclusive Mode” enabled under the playback tab? As another test, can you try to play audio for an extended period of time to the NAD using another application such as iTunes?

-John

Roon is currently up and running, I had to unplug/replug the network cable to get it to recognize the NAD DAC as usual. Exclusive Mode and Integer Mode are both enabled. Just a note regarding the second troubleshoot tip on playing to the NAD using iTunes, once Roon recognizes the NAD DAC there has never been an issue with playback for any period of time, it all works perfectly fine until the next shutdown/startup of Roon and the computer.

Hi John, checking in to see if you’ve been able to see the logs from my Mac Mini since I reinstalled the core on it.

Thanks,