No Audio Devices Found on MacOS 10.12.6 / 10.13.6 due to RAATServer crashing [Ticket In]

Hi All,

Our latest release (Build 918) contained some improvements in this area, for those impacted by this issue, can you please confirm if build 918 has helped your audio devices appear again? You can check to see which build you are on in Roon Settings → About.

1 Like

Sadly I continue to have the same issue after updating to 918 and restarting. Neither of my 2 RoonReady DACs are available.

The console is reporting the following every 7 secs from ‘libsystem_network_dylib’:
“nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 8 [9: Bad file descriptor]”

Thanks for your continuing support.

Updated to 918, restarted all computers, logged out and logged back in. Same issue - no audio devices found.

Hi @DeathRobot & @DeathRobot ,

Sorry to hear that the update did not help, I’ve re-enabled logging for your affected Mac devices, can you please use them for at least a few minutes and then :heart: this post to know to check for the logs after you’ve done so? Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Noris. Just a note that although I hearted your post, I am not really able to do anything with Roon other than browse. If I try to play a track I get an error saying, “No audio device selected!”

Hey, Jamie.

1. Connected via Ethernet, still broken.

2. I can see and control as normal all the devices (other than the USB DAC connected to the roonserver) from the remote iMac/iPad/iPhone etc. I can stream from the roonserver (iMac) to all the other devices (remote iMac/iPads/iPhones/Sonos’s etc. All content local library (attached to roonserver) /Quboz/internet radio all works. Grouping of available devices works fine. All as normal.
    *remote and roonserver iMacs are seperate machines.

3. I know the USB output on the roonserver is working because I can see it in the preferences/output menu. And I have Audirivana loaded (currently) on that machine and it works fine.

The only thing that’s not available/visible via all the roon remotes iMac/iPad/iPhone is the USB output on my roonserver (which is where my main system is connected). It’s not available/visible from all the Audio and the Zone pickers. In addition from Setup in Find Roon OS it doesn’t find the roon server/core?

The screen shots are missing the roonserver and it’s respective outputs including the USB output (formerly known as Denafrips).

All worked beautifully before the roon update.

Can we roll back the update to confirm that’s the problem?

You wont see/find any Roon OS Cores unless you are running Roon OS Core like Nucleus or ROCK

Hey there. I realize this question is simplistic and quite likely off base, but since:

1. when I updated Roon to the build that broke the recognition of audio devices on the computer the core resides on, that machine was running Mac OS 10.12, and

2. now that I’ve upgraded it to 10.14, the audio devices are still not recognized,

is it possible that when the build was installed that OS 12.6 prevented some small piece of important code to be installed correctly, and that broke it as well as all subsequent updates?

If so, might the best course forward be to completely uninstall Roon on that machine and reinstall from scratch now that it’s running 10.14?

If so, what is the best way to do that so that I don’t lose all my custom input data? Is it as simple as creating a backup, uninstalling and reinstalling Roon, and importing that backup?

Thanks,

Michael

It’s possible.

Just delete Roon from Applications and reinstall it from the website. Your settings are held elsewhere.

Just replaced the app, restarted, and logged out/in on the remote app. Still not seeing core audio device.

Also tried restoring from an old backup (build 898) and restarting everything. Same issue. @danny - I know this post was combined to include those of us having this issue due to 10.12.6, but since I have upgraded the server computer to 12.14 do you have any idea why this would be happening? Seems like updating should have fixed it if it was a bug with 10.12.6.

Just updated to the new build. Unfortunately, still not seeing the audio outs on the core.

1 Like

Hi @DeathRobot ,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue is still the same. Can we please ask that you open Console.app, reproduce the issue by navigating to the Audio page on the affected Mac and then upload the log generated here and let us know?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

As another test you can also perform a RAATServer refresh. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
1 Like

Hi @noris ,

Just uploaded the Console log, but to be clear, you mean to run Console on any remote computer and navigate to the Manage Audio Devices page in Roon? I ask because the “affected” mac would really be the the core machine and I don’t run Roon on it, just Roon Server.

I’m guessing Noris means the mac the device/s are connected to.

Creating a new RAATServer fixed the issue. Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.