No Connection Between SMS200 and Burson C3R

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

i7 PC Windows 10 Roon V1.7 Build 537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

PC > Ethernet (Eunhasu) > SOTM SMS-200 > Burson Conductor 3R

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Burson Conductor 3R DAC/Headamp via USB

Description Of Issue

I use my Conductor 3R directly connected to my PC using Roon without problems (except with DSD playback, another issue). I use my SMS200 over the ethernet through Eunhasu connected to my Holo Spring2 DAC also without problems. When I connect the Conductor 3R as the DAC to my SMS200, it doesn’t show up in Eunhasu. I see the Burson USB Audio device in the choices of output in Eunhasu configuration though, but the device doesn’t show up in Roon.

Hi @Edric_Presbitero,

Welcome to the forum!

Can you please share a screenshot of what you’re seeing in both Roon and the Eunhasu configuration?

If you try to start playback to the SMS200 in Roon, does that not send the stream to the Burson (when the Burson is connected to the SMS)?

HI. so today I had some success. I re-connected my Conductor 3R Dac/amp to the SOTM SMS200 and all of a sudden it showed up in Roon.

It played without problems. However, I turned it off to move the SMS200 closer to the amp and use a shorter usb cable and when I rebooted it, the connection was lost and I could not replicate my initial success. Even when I moved it back to the initial configuration I could not re-establish the connection. Eunhasu would still show the Burson XMOS device but Roon does not show the bridge device anymore, nor the Burson audio device. Very frustrating.

Update: I found a similar situation with an SMS200 user and a Mytek DAC in a previous discussion. In that, it was suggested that the firewall may be causing the connection problem, preventing Roon from seeing the said DAC through the SMS200. While in that situation the suggested solution of including Roon.exe and RAATserver.exe in the firewall exceptions did not work as Mytek and SOTM have incompatibility issues, in my case it did! So, pending further tests and rebooting, this problem for now has been solved. Will update if anything else changes.

Update: Ok, I spoke too soon and the connection is gone again. Must be the connection between Roon and the Burson C3R through SMS200 because when I switch the DAC to Mytek Liberty, Roon instantly sees it and there is connection immediately.

Seeking advise again… :frowning_face:

Hi @Edric_Presbitero,

Do you have the latest firmware on the Burson and the SMS200?
I believe that the SMS has to detect a device for the SMS to show up in Roon.
When this issue occurs, does the Eunhasu web config still show the Burson as a connected device?

Hi @noris, yes latest Burson firmware from their website.
When the issue occurs, Burson still appears in the Eunhase web config, but the SMS200 will not appear as a bridge device in the Roon config. Please see below.

Hi @Edric_Presbitero,

Thanks for the screenshot. Next, I am wondering if diagnostics from your Core would show any additional info, but before I go ahead and enable diagnostics mode, can I please ask that you connect the Burson to the SMS and let me know the exact local time + date it shows up in the Eunhasu config but not in the Roon Audio Settings page?

Hi @noris, the following is the schedule of my Roon activity for today, 14 May 2020, Philippine local time:

SOTM SMS200 + Burson C3R - No Roon connection, but appears in Eunhasu:
06:15PM - 06:22PM
06:30PM - 06:35PM

SOTM SMS200 + Mytek Liberty - Roon connection, Eunhasu connection, playback OK.
06:36PM - 06:50PM

PC Roon Core + Burson C3R - Roon playback OK.
07:35PM - 08:10PM

Hope this is what you need.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Edric_Presbitero, yes this is exactly what I was looking for :+1:.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Once these logs are received, I will request the technical team to review them to see if there are further clues, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @noris. Below is the log where I have successfully connected to the Burson C3R with Roon via the SMS200:

05-16-20
1:08PM - 4:45PM

Below is when I’ve switched from the Burson to the Mytek consistently with Roon via the SMS200:

4:50PM - 5:00PM

I think I have found what works for the Roon to detect the Burson - SMS200 endpoint. There are 2 drivers available when the Burson is connected, and I switch between the two and sometimes switch the DAC-Amp off, just so I can select the XMOS BursonUSB Audio device. When I’ve done this and save the configuration, it comes out in Roon. It takes several attempts sometimes, but I can make the connection now.

Hello @Edric_Presbitero,

When the sMS-200 is in the state where you cannot play to it via Roon Ready, are you able to successfully start playback by switching to the MPD & DNLA input on the sMS-200 and using an UPnP app for playback? The Shairport input would work for this test as well.

-John

I’m not familiar with MPD&DNLA nor with UPnP. Which app can I use to test this? With Roon I am now consistently able to connect to the Burson via the SMS200 although quite inconvenient to have to make multiple switches between the two drivers to establish the digital handshake (not sure if the term is correct).

Hello @Edric_Presbitero,

This issue is almost certainly not related to the Roon Ready component on the sMS-200. Roon has no visibility into what is the right “driver” for the DAC, it simply tries to connect to the DAC that the sMS-200 is reporting as active.

I recommend reaching out to the Burson and SoTM support teams regarding this issue, unfortunately there’s not much we can do as we do not have any Burson DAC’s in-house as a part of our Roon Tested program.

-John

Thanks @john, I’ll let Burson know about our findings, and maybe SOTM if they are responsive.