No easy way to navigate to a track’s source folder on nas from osx - wrong filepath from Roon

hi
sorry for this question but I don’t get it.
when I copy the file location to the clipboard I get something like this

\nas\asu2\muzi\rest\testmusik\Frank Zappa\The Yellow Shark\1-04 Outrage at Valdez.flac

ok so far so good. but where to past to get connected to the location? its not working in finder, neither connect to server¿

thanks for helping

Does Shift-Commang-G for “go to location” and then paste not result in a new Finder window containing the folder?

Edited to fix keyboard command. Thanks, @DaveN

sorry I am on Mac osx Ventura

command g is not working…

shift-command g is the command you need …

Or just select ‘Go to Folder…’ from the Go menu in Finder.

1 Like

sorry its not working…
copy to clipboard and than pasting in folder or server dialog give an error…

any idea… its a AFP adress and it seams osx tries SMB?

When I need to copy/move files from my Mac to my music location I just open two finder windows side by side, one with my source and the other one with the destination (obviously a NAS destination should be mounted first).
Then I just drag the files from one location to the other.

Isn’t that that you’re looking for?

yes…I know how to navigate to my files on the NAS and to copy and so on…

but it seams that roon is not giving the right location.
of cause I can do open the location manually …

\nas\asu2\muzi\rest\testmusik

instead of roon clipboard is this working…

smb://192.168.178.129/asus2/muzi/rest/testmusik

or

afp://192.168.178.129/asus2/muzi/rest/testmusik

or

afp://servername/asus2/muzi/rest/testmusik

not too sure I understand what’s your problem , sorry

I would like to use the Room option ( copy to clipboard - in the file context) to go quick in the location for repair delete and so on or just look.

This is a function in Roon which’s not working. It’s the wrong filepath!

I don’t think it’s wrong, it’s however, the path from the Roon Core, not your client.
As an example, this is the path extracted from my Roon ROCK acting as Core, with media on an external USB:

/roon/sys/storage/mounts/6Tb_WDC_WD60/music/flac/Music/PQR/Pink Floyd/A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [1987]/01 - Signs Of Life.flac

When i switch to my Windows Roon Core, with media on an internal SATA drive:

F:\Music\PQR\Pink Floyd\A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [1987]\01 - Signs Of Life.flac

Oh, and of course, both paths are extracted using the Roon Remote app on my iPad, you see the difference?

I get your point.
But I have only one machine and a nas. So this Funktion in Roon ( copy filepath to clipboard) should give me a working path with copy paste, for the controlling machine? but it does not. I can see what kind of path Roon is giving me but this function is useless -and I know it’s working with connected disks for other setups it’s just working fine.
But it should be able to do so on a connected nas-server-setup. Roon „knows“ that the core is on a windows machine and the controlling Roon is on a mac and give the filepath for the controlling machine. Don’t tell me that’s a fancy idea. For what other reason should I use the copy to clipboard on a headless Setup?

And sorry for my strong words. I am frustrated with roonsupport. Roon Update killed my hole setup and it took me days now to set Roon up in a different way and no support at all until now. This is just a small detail here but maybe it shows the mentality- more for the masses and less finesse. Don’t get me wrong, when it’s running I am happy with the software.

I hope it’s not to confusing what I am asking for. As I understand it now - this is a not working feature. It’s only working in a non server based setup.

1 Like

Did you add a network share as your library in Roon and did you use the path from your example below to do so?

If not, maybe try that?

Note: The file path shown is always from the view of the Core, but this shouldn’t matter if it is a network share (NAS) unless you mapped the share on Windows and pointed Roon there (then you’re lost).
Windows should accept Windows (\\servername\sharename) and URL (smb://servername/sharename) notation but AFAIK only the URL notation will work on MAC too.

PS: Because it is a Windows Core, path might still get messed up (smb://servername/sharename\path\to\music\)? But I don’t know and can’t test (no Mac, no Windows Core) – please let us know.

Something you might want to look at too (add vote):

2 Likes

ok…thank you all for helping

I think the the “copy to clipboard” should be working as expected. u get a folder path on the machine where you did the “copy to clipboard”. I know that roon is just giving the path from the core. sorry but this is not very clever and should be different.
the “copy to clipboard” is somehow a “goto location” and I think this is the way it should work. otherwise its useless on a headless system. the path itself is written under the “copy to clipboard”. maybe this is more a feature request - from rooms point of view-

1 Like

Yeah, i see what you want here. And you’re right, it kinda makes no sense in most/many scenarios.

But on the other hand, i think this is the first time in almost 8 years of Roon-ing (95% of the time on headless servers, controlled by iPads) i’ve used the feature, or even heard about anyone using it. It’s not a huge task to browse to the folder in a separate explorer/finder window, no? :wink:

And i surely do a lot of library grroming and maintenance with a library of 200K tracks, backed up to at least 3 or 4 different storages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.