No HDMI on supported NUC12

Hi

same Issue with NUC12 NUC12WSKi7 NO HDMI to setup.

Roon Optimized Core Kit
Bios default settings - done.

Version 1.0 (build 257) earlyaccess

Version 2.0 (build 1223) production

Would be great to have a Solution @benjamin @noris or a new OS file.

Many thanks for your support!

Hi

Same issue here NUC12WSKi7 NO HDMI to setup.
Running ROCK version 2.0 build 1234.

Same here.
NUC12WSHi7 working perfect. “Just need HDMI” support (big time…)
Let me know if I can help testing when something is ready for Alpha or Beta.
I missed the “*” stating “currently no HDMI support” when buying my NUC. So it’s my own fault…

I just ordered a QuietPC build with NUC12 and noticed the * when reading about ROCK images.

Is the limitation only for RoonOS (or ROCK builds) or will Roon also not be able to play HDMI Audio if I have Win 11 installed instead?

I am likely going to change my build tomorrow and just go with another Intel i7. I thought the NUC would make it easy but this is a real bummer. I really don’t want to play around with an HTPC - been there, done that 20 years ago.

It’s only an issue with ROCK OS; Win 11 apparently has the necessary audio drivers.

Roon Labs have marked the NUC12 models as currently lacking HDMI Audio support in their list of supported NUCs for ROCK.

@Geoff_Coupe - Are they working on a fix?

Torben

I’m only a volunteer moderator here - I’m not privy to what Roon Labs do internally. However, I note that Danny commented on the situation so it is probable that they are investigating the issues.

Hey @Landrew_Gomes1, @Torben_Rick, and all others experiencing this issue.

NUC12s are using a different driver set for HDMI output and this is leading to a compatibility issue. We’re investigating potential paths forward, but we cannot make any promises at this time. We’ve updated our KB to warn users of this potential incompatibility in the meantime.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

1 Like

@benjamin - Thanks Ben. But let’s not forget that the NUC12 has been on list (ROCK’s hardware support) for months (positive list) and that user buy NUC based on the list.

Torben

And that list has a clear warning, which was put on when Roon Labs confirmed the issue…

Roon Core Machine

NUC12WSHI7000 Intel Tall, i7, Wallstreet Canyon, Roon Rock, 16GB + 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (3200 SODIMM), 1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for music.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

EE router via ethernet to TP link 6 port switch then to NUC unit.

Connected Audio Devices

Marantz SR8015 AV receiver
Cyrus Pre2 DAC QXR

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When Rock is connected to the AV receiver, there is video (I can see Rock details and also boot menu when selected on start up). No sound from receiver though. Device shows up in Roon though as HDA Intel PCH (ALSA).

This is when playing tracks via HDMI. Songs show as playing with device connected.

There is a new BIOS update from intel for NUC12 on 3/30. BIOS Update [WSADL357]
I am going to try this over the weekend and see if this helps.

2 Likes

PCH is not HDMI – PCH is most likely the headphone jack on the motherboard.

The issue of NUC12 (and beyond) HDMI support is known and is not a simple fix. It’s on the roadmap to fixing, but Intel has changed quite a bit about how this works, so it’s going to take some serious effort.

We only recently got samples of these boards in. I also have some NUC13’s on the way here from Intel, and I want to make sure my changes will be compatible with the future line too.

Anyway, NUC12 + HDMI will not work with ROCK until we add this support. If you need Linux + HDMI + NUC12 before then, use Ubuntu.

5 Likes

Hi, thanks for letting me know.

@danny can you say what NUC13 will be supported in the future and when? Is Roon Rock running on that NUC13s like the NUC12 without HDMI support or is it not possible to install Roon Rock up to somewhere in the future?

The NUC13 has the same issue about HDMI audio that the NUC12 does, and it is my intention to fix both, but I can’t provide a timeframe.

2 Likes

@danny thanks for the answer. Last question as you have a few NUC12. The new CPU design … performance and efficiency cores … Are the efficiency cores fast enough for full Roon functionality like heavy DSP functions?

EDIT: i tested Rock now on a NUC12 with i3 and 5 endpoints parallel with filters and Co. No problems. Way more power than needed.

So hopefully the 2 HDMI outputs will function in the future …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.