No longer able to use Vizio tv as a display

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 PC, Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 12gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus AX5700 WiFi router. Streamer connects via WiFi, TV connects via powerline ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Streamer is a Bluesound Node (3rd gen), which connects via WiFi. The Vizio TV is connected via Netgear powerline ethernet adapters.

Number of Tracks in Library

About 11,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

My Vizio TV (M657-G0) has Chromecast built in, but isn’t showing up as a Display in Roon. Until recently I was able to use it as a display, but the wireless card in the TV went bad, so the TV is now connected to my home network via powerline ethernet. I can stream to the TV via Chromecast using other apps (e.g. YouTube from my phone). Is it possible to use the TV as a display with this type of connection?

Because it is now wired it is likely that it shows up as a totally new zone in Roon.
Go and take a look in settings:audio and see if you see any new zones that need enabling as any new zone is always disabled by default until the user enables it.

I checked settings:audio but there aren’t any new zones to enable, and no new devices. Is there something else I can try to get Roon communicating with the TV?

All I can think of right now is to reboot the Roon Core machine and see if either it starts to work or a new device then does show up under the Audio section.

I tried rebooting with no luck. I connected another router I had recently replaced (a Netgear R7800) and was able to add the TV as an audio device (via Chromecast) and use the TV as a display again. So it seems the issue is related to the new router (Asus AX5700). I’ve reviewed every setting I could think of, plus a few suggestions I found in the forum (e.g. turning off igmp snooping), but nothing has worked. Any ideas for router settings that might be the culprit?

Also, I typically access the PC hosting my roon core via Remote Desktop, and I noticed that when I close the remote desktop session all my endpoints lose their connection to the core. When I log back in to the PC directly my endpoints reconnect (roon core is running the entire time). I didn’t notice this behavior before replacing my router, so maybe this is related?

Thanks!

I use a Shield and it is on Ethernet and still shows up fine on my Roon as a Chromecast Display.

I can also see all of my Google Home device’s from within Roon

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 PC, Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 12gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus AX5700 WiFi router. Streamer connects via WiFi, TV connects via powerline ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Streamer is a Bluesound Node (3rd gen), which connects via WiFi. The Vizio TV is connected via Netgear powerline ethernet adapters.

Number of Tracks in Library

About 11,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

My Vizio TV (M657-G0) has Chromecast built in, but isn’t showing up in Roon as an audio device or as a display (I want to use it as a display). Until recently I was able to use it as a display, but I recently replaced my router, and around the same time the wireless card in the TV went bad, so the TV is now connected to my home network via powerline ethernet. I can stream to the TV via Chromecast using other apps (e.g. YouTube from my phone). Also, I tried swapping the new router for the old one (a Netgear R7800) and was again able to use the TV as a display, so it seems to be an issue with a router setting. I’ve reviewed every setting I could think of, plus a few suggestions I found in the forum (e.g. turning off igmp snooping), but nothing has worked. Any ideas for router settings that might be the culprit?

Also, I typically access the PC hosting my Roon core via Remote Desktop, and I noticed that when I close the remote desktop session all my endpoints lose their connection to the core. When I log back in to the PC directly my endpoints reconnect (roon core is running the entire time). I didn’t notice this behavior before replacing my router, so maybe this is related?

Thanks.

Hey Matt,

I reopened the topic, it seems to me the issue was solved by replacing the router. is it not the case?

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. No, the issue isn’t solved, since I really want to use the new router. The old router had some issues with coverage in my house; I only swapped it in to the network to try to isolate the problem. If you have any suggestions for router settings that may be causing this issue I’d love to hear them. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi @Matt_Ferring ,

Is the behavior the same even on the latest build of Roon (build 918)? Do you have Multicast enabled on the router?

When you tried the other router, was powerline still in use? Powerline is sometimes unstable from what we have seen, so this might be part of the issue.

Yes, the issue was still there in the latest build, and the issue wasn’t present with the old router even when powerline was in use.

I decided to go back to the old router (I started having issues with a printer with the new router, too), so I’m closing this issue. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.