No longer connecting to SMB shares on Synology via Hostname

I have the exact same problem.

I have rebooted the Core, the Synology, and clients

My synology was auto updated to 6.2.2

All my pc clients can access the SMB shares.

The Roon Rock can only access the SMB shares if I use the Ip address - \192.168.1.151\music

It used to work with the friendly name

Sounds suspiciously like a dns issue

Same issue here, was able to make it work with the IP address, which is static, so no huge deal once I found this thread!

DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2

Same here. Room updated this morning and all NAS links dead. Unable to EDIT the NAS links, can only delete and add new. How do I EDIT the location so that I don’t have to rebuild from scratch? Mac can see all NAS locations so it’s only ROON that’s having the problem.
Just checked and I’m still on Synology DSM 6.2.1-23824 so blaming it on Synology is a red herring

Alternatively is there a way to go back to the previous OS that worked? The only thing new in #175 is CD ripping in ROON which I don’t need. If I could reload the previous OS I could load the library from the backup.

I’ve spent countless hours adjusting rips within ROON; all gone. (Lesson learnt; adjust in iTunes and FLAC software and then import into ROON. I honestly thought that ROON was more stable…).

A post was split to a new topic: Issues accessing ROCK (OS175) from Windows 10 Remote

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I am discussing this issue with our technical team but I should mention that rolling back Roon versions is Not Supported at this time as it can cause compatibility issues.

To those affected by this issue (@Mario_Bucco/@Mohammed_Samji/@Phil_Jeremiah/@Daniel_Blount) can you please let me know the following:

• What is your router model/manufacturer and how the Core and NAS are connected in the setup?

• Is the NAS and the Core on the same switch or are both plugged directly into the router via Ethernet?

• Are you still able to access the network share via Finder or Windows Explorer when connecting via Hostname?

Hi Noris,
The router is a Verizon Fios Quantum and I’m using a Verizon Fios Network extender and Motorola MM1000 moca adapter. Both of these are connected to the Quantum router via the same coax cable run and are on the same network.

The NAS and Roon Rock are using 2 different switches. Both are connected to the switches via ethernet cables. The NAS switch is connected directly to the Fios Network extender and the Roon Rock switch is connected directly to the moca adapter.

I am able to access the NAS shares via Hostname from computers, both Windows 10 & Ubuntu 18.04, connected to both switches and via WiFi. I can also use J River MC25 to play music with no problem and it’s library access the NAS using Hostname rather than IP address.

I am also seeing frequent problems with the ROCK losing connection to the Windows 10 pc on the same switch as the NAS. The Windows 10 pc is also connected via ethernet. I’m working on rebuilding the Roon database for my music and as a result have not been doing much listening to the system connected to the same switch as the ROCK, so I don’t know if there are instability issues there as well.

Prior to the most recent Roon update my system worked flawlessly. To say I am disappointed with Roon at the moment is an understatement.

Regards,
Mario

1 - Router: UniFi Security Gateway
2 - NAS and ROCK are direct Ethernet to the same switch
3 - Yes, the rest of the network can see the NAS folders with //diskstation/

@support

I’m identical to @Daniel_Blount

1. Router - UniFi Security Gateway (latest firmware. Firmware updated about 2 months ago)
  2. Switch - Unifi 8 port switch (atest firmware. Firmware updated about 2 months ago)
  3. Synology - Updated to 6.2.2 Update 2 (on the same day as my Roon Rock with to Build 175)
  4. Roon Rock - Version 175

Both my Synology and Roon Rock (on an Intel NUC) are on the SAME Unifi 8 port switch with wired connections.

The Synology actually has 2 Ethernet Connections from it to the UniFi in a BOND

Windows Explorer can access the SMB Shares on my Synology with:

• \MSamji-NAS\Music

Roon Rock used to work. NOW

• \MSamji-NAS\Music is no longer accessible.
  • I deleted the share and tried to add it back. no go.

BUT on the Roon ROCK, I was able to add back the SMB share with the IP Address
\192.168.1.178\Music

Roon Rock -> Synology has worked for over a year with no issues.

The only changes this week were:

• Roon Rock - Went to Build 175
  • Synology also took an update to 6.2.2. Update 2

noris, please see answer in new post that addresses all of these points. Thanks

Hello All,

Thank you for providing that information. I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your accounts and what this action will do is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis.

I have submitted these to QA for review and when I have any new information to share I will be sure to update you here. If connecting via IP address is working as expected, I would suggest to use this method for the time being.

Hi Everyone,

In a separate thread Noris was helping me get my files back into Roon with my original edits. Something Noris said clicked and I tried something that worked. You will have to relink your NAS to Roon using the IP address but before you import the files by adding a folder remove the old folder/file location from Roon storage. For example, belore adding the folder CD’s using the IP address of your NAS remove the hostname version of the folder \MusicNAS\music > CD’s. It’s worked for me to get all of my metadata edits back. As a caution make sure you do a backup before trying this.

Regards,
Mario

1 Like

Hello All,

I appreciate your patience while QA has been reviewing the diagnostics from your Cores.

@Mario_Bucco/@Daniel_Blount/@Phil_Jeremiah - We have reviewed the diagnostics and it appears that the behavior of the NAS failing to connect via Hostname occurred before your ROCKs have been updated to the latest OS, so it is possibly not related and a red-herring.

@Mohammed_Samji - We have diagnostics mode activated but your Core seems to have not delivered any log set so we cannot confirm if this is the same surrounding factor.

In either case, QA would like to perform a test here to gather some other useful information. Can I please ask you all to try to add the share via a .local hostname and let me know if this works?

Please keep in mind that this would only be a test to hopefully gather some more information surrounding this issue, and this is not suggested to be a permanent workaround if it works.

From what I have gathered in the case notes it would be as follows:

@Mario_Bucco - \\MusicNAS.local\music
@Daniel_Blount - \\diskstation.local\music
@Phil_Jeremiah - \\Synology_Music.local\HD Music
@Mohammed_Samji - \\MSamji-NAS.local\Music

Can you try adding these storage locations as the share to Roon and let me know if the NAS is accessible this way?

@support

Yes I’ll try adding some shares using the method above tonight and will report back

1 Like

Sorry, no joy

Also “We have reviewed the diagnostics and it appears that the behavior of the NAS failing to connect via Hostname occurred before your ROCKs have been updated”; I’ve had a few weekends away recently and usually switch of the NAS drives but not always the ROCK. It could be that the fail to connect that you see in the log files are while I’ve had the NAS drives switched off.

Hi Noris,
I just tried and it works. I haven’t added any specific music folder but \MusicNas.local\music does show as a valid network share and all the subfolders show up.
Regards,
Mario

1 Like

Thank you for confirming @Mario_Bucco.

@Mohammed_Samji/@Daniel_Blount - Can you please give this a try when you have a chance?

@Phil_Jeremiah - Is the behavior the same if you try smb://Synology_Music.local/HD Music?

Thanks,
Noris

No access for a week. Will try when I return

1 Like

@support

Here is today’s testing.

Setup

• Roon ROCK on my INTEL NUC. No changes outside of upgrading to Build 175
  • Synology NAS - with the latest update
  • Both are WIRED and on the same UBIQUITI Switch

SMB Shares

• The two shares I connect to are:
    \MSamji-NAS\Music
    \MSamji-NAS\HiRezMusic

As a starting point:

1. I deleted these from ROON since I had to use the IP Address to connect

Now let’s try to reconnect so you can get the logs from my device.

Today’s Steps

1. Remove the shares from the Roon

2. Confirm the SMB Shares work via HOST NAME

• From a Windows I can successfully connect to:
    \MSamji-NAS\MUSIC
    \MSamji-NAS\HiRezMusic
  1. NOW let’s add them in ROON
  • From Roon I try to ADD
    \MSamji-NAS\Music

• It fails. The error is “There was an un-expected error: UnexpectedError”

• Then I try to ADD
    \MSamji-NAS.local\Music