No output from Hifiberry DAC2 HD with RopieeeXL 2022.04

@spockfish If Build 223 is the new beta, same result for me. 3ea1c207c20a983d. Everything else that @Mauro_Filippini described also applies to me. I do note that the beta also initially sets the volume at 46 like it did in 2022.03 (where it shows up as muted but isn’t); don’t know whether that’s relevant or not.

Steve

@spockfish On Build 223 (2022.05) I’m back to the volume issue (same as reported by @Steve_Putman). Log ID: 951cb3e1169868da.

BTW the RPI4B1.5+DAC2HD box works fine under HiFiBerry OS. On that OS, Linux kernel is 5.15.2X (I forgot to take note the exact sublevel) and not 5.15.33, as it’s in Ropieee 2022.04 and .05.

Don’t know if the kernel sublevel has anything to do with the volume issue (2022.03 was on kernel 5.10.YY and it’s working fine).

Regards

Mauro

Ok, I ordered one to figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

Grateful for your dedication (esp for a Hifiberry problem!)

Thanks for all your work on this

Made a small donation to support your work and to thank you for your commitment.

Regards

Mauro

2 Likes

I’m late to the party here (and also relatively new to RoPieee), but just wanted to say that all of the characteristics being discussed are also true on my systems which are all RPi3B rather than 4. Before reading this thread I had also upgraded and down-graded variously to get back to a previous version. I also see the problem with the inability to mute.

Thanks for the ongoing development.

[when you have fixed this, would you lean over and help Roon fix their problems with IOS :-p ] (kidding)

Thanks, Neil

Today I’ve played a little bit with my HiFiBerry DAC2 HD. I dug a bit into HiFiBerry OS (20220228) to compare with Ropieee, and I’ve got to correct (at least partially) one of my previous posts.

Also under HiFiBerry OS (after all, it’s their own OS) the mute thing is not working as intended. You always get sound, irrespectively it’s muted or not under Roon. I suspect the “mute bug” it’s a Roon bug (build 931). The Naim streamer is muted correctly on the Roon interface, though.

BTW HiFiBerry OS is using kernel 5.15.24 and not 5.15.33 as it’s in RoPieeee 2022.04.

If I may say so, Ropieee (2022.03) is more stable than HiFIBerry OS (especially when I’m using the RPi4B built in WiFi).

I’ve set up HiFIBerry OS with just Roon and AirPlay services on. Everything I don’t need (BT, DNLA, Spotify, etc.) is off for comparison purposes.

Now I’m back to RoPieee …

Hope it helps

Mauro

My DAC2 HD arrived, so I’m investigating as we speak…

So an update on this topic.

It’s clear that this is related to the kernel version being used: 5.15.24 works, 5.15.30 not.
That’s the reason Hifiberry OS is right now at .24 and not up to date with the latest patch version.

I’ve spent more time analyzing this then I wanted, so here’s where it ends for me. The best thing we can do is wait for the Hifiberry guys to fix this properly (upstream).

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks.

No idea how fast (or slow) is the HiFiBerry guys update / fix cycle.

Yours seems quite fast.

Let’s wait and see

Regards

Mauro

PS I’ll keep 2022.03 as long as it works

@spockfish having the same problem. Bummer! :frowning:

@spockfish so please excuse my ignorance but I’m having an issue with volume slider on Roon using the newest version of ropieeeXL and DAC2 HD. Is the problem with this with hifiberry? I reached out to them, this is what they said:

“We’re not the developers of Ropie and there is no support from us for this software. We do not debug 3rd party software. If the author needs some support debugging his software with our cards, he should contact us. I’m not aware that he ever contacted us. If you want to use Roon, we offer HiFiBerryOS. We don’t support 3rd party software like Ropie.”

I understand they don’t support 3rd party software but you said something about their kernel was causing the error. Is this just with hifiberryOS? Again sorry for my ignorance and I hope this helps!

I don’t understand them, but that’s a matter of opinion :wink:

RoPieee has switched to the 5.15 Linux kernel (for various reasons). And somewhere between 5.15.24 and ‘latest’ something changed causing the volume setting issue with the DAC2.

RoPieee uses the ‘latest’ stable version, which is currently beyond .24.
HifiberryOS is sticking to 5.15.24. That means that this is probably going to be fixed when Hifiberry decides to upgrade the kernel and they ran into the same issue.

Unfortunately that means that until then there’s not much I can do. So if you want to stick to the DAC2 I suggest you switch to their OS.

Thanks

@Breen_Lyden I don’t understand them either.

By the way, also under their own OS (HiFIBerryOS, with the 5.15.24 kernel) the mute function doesn’t work (it doesn’t mute anything, you always get sound out the analog output). It’s not a Roon bug. That’s a DAC/RPi specific bug. They should fix it in their own OS either.

Unfortunately, their update cycle is definitely slower than RoPieee.

My 5 cents: at the next “major” kernel upgrade, the “slider/volume” issue may be gone without HiFIBerry people doing anything. However, as already pointed out by @spockfish it should be their task to contribute with code for their DACs to RPi Linux kernel distribution (upstream fix). If they stand still and do nothing, at the next kernel upgrade that issue will kick them in the back anyway (so to say).

We might shake things up by asking them about a fix for the mute “glitch” under HiFiBerryOS.

Regards

Mauro

Do you have this image to share? It is no longer available through the link and nothing works for me with the current RopieeeXL version and my DAC2 HD…

Will you post a message somewhere, someday, when this is solved, so that HifiBerry DAC2 HD owners again can use RopieeeXL?

Their OS is also very bugy, I’ve tried to use Hifiberry OS on my RPi3 + DAC 2 HD and get noise, they suggested me to update to latest version, I’ve updated and get in “boot loop”, I tried to resolve this issue myself and found that “No SoundCard found”, opened Request at their Community and got the answer - “Wait for the next version”…

Also ran into this trap… :frowning:

Does someone have some information when Hifiberry will cure it? (I tried to add a thread in their community but currently it looks like the “forgot password” functionality is broken…)

@Steve_Putman maybe you could change the title a bit because for me it looks like it’s all new releases (I`m running the 2022.06.04) are affected…

@spockfish fyi - looks like they also use a new kernel for their 20220726:

Hi,

Missed their release, so good to see.

If you’re willing to test with it I can put out a beta. I’ve already switched to 5.15.56, so I’m curious if this fixes the issue miraculously.

Let me know if you’re up for a test; if so tell me what kind of Pi you have (3 or 4).

Thanks

Ready to Go :slight_smile:
What could I do?
pi3