No Sound from Bluetooth Speakers through iMac Pro

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Nucleus (Build 227 / Software 667)
iMac Pro Catalina (10.15.7)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Dynaudio XEO2 Speakers (In Bluetooth Mode and connected to iMac Pro)

Description Of Issue
When playing Roon, I can only get the sound to go through the internal speakers on the iMac. All 3 other music playing apps will play through the Bluetooth speakers. (Apple Music / Tidal / Qobuz).

The iMac Pro is my core audio and is selected as my audio source.
In the Roon app, under device setup for Audio for the iMac, I do not see any further selections for internal speaker, Bluetooth…, which they do have in Tidal and Qobuz apps.

Any advice, please advise. Thank You!

Probably just terminology but it good to get clarification. I suspect that your are running the Roon Core on the Nucleus and the iMac is running as a remote. Is this correct?

Could you post a screen shot of what you see, this will help Roon’s support team.

The other thing to try is to temporally disable any firewall on the Mac (as these may be blocking the Roon Core from discovering the Mac)

Link for screenshots is below. Roon will play through the iMac to its internal speakers, no problem. In the iMacs settings is where I will choose the bluetooth speakers as my audio output instead of the internal speakers. Once I make that change, it still plays through the internal speakers. At that point, Tidal and Qobuz play through the bluetooth speakers as directed in iMac settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17B384iJrQPLRFWnZUYBvLqgaU_DG10pu/view?usp=sharing,%20https://drive.google.com/file/d/198VcZ_z-dGJ2y1zusI_GYI0TPqXxCJLq/view?usp=sharing

That is correct.

1 Like

Hi @Bradford_Paul,

Unfortunately I’m not able to access the screenshots you shared. Can you try posting them directly here on the forums?

Hello @Bradford_Paul, in that screenshot, you’re playing to iMac Pro instead of system output. Could you please try enabling system output and playing to that instead? If you have the iMac set to Bluetooth under Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound and are playing to system output in Roon, your speakers should get the signal.

If this isn’t working, please send us a screenshot of Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound > Output. Thanks!

When I enable ‘System Output’ it remains grey in the Zones window and says ‘nothing playing’. Because it is greyed out, I am not able to play anything while it is selected. I have attached a screenshot of that along with the Apple>System Preferences>Sound selection. Thank You.!

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.09.19 PM|381x500

Hello @Bradford_Paul, my apologies, I didn’t get the screenshot of the apple sound selection you sent, just screenshots from Roon. Also, if you choose system output as the endpoint and select a track, does it play?

Appl Screenshot attached. Sorry about that. If I choose the system output as the endpoint, I am not able to select a track. The track selection acts as if it is greyed out as well. Says ‘nothin playing’. Thank You.