No track-level volume leveling in Tidal (Whole Album Normalized Together)

This was already discussed here: Wrong TIDAL gain values for track and album but that thread is already closed, so I open a new thread.

Tidal track leveling has always the same volume setting as album leveling. I have checked that with many tracks and albums. Track and album leveling is working flawless with Qobuz.

Background:
With the new very very useful playlist handling in the last Roon version I have added Tidal along with my Qobuz subscription cause I am using Soundiiz to convert shared Spotify playlists of friends into Qobuz, but Tidal has less misses of those Spotify tracks. But with those Tidal playlist I have a very unpleasant volume jumping from track to track. I believe that track leveling is especially important and useful for playlists and wonder, how Tidal users come along with missing that?

1 Like

Hi @Joe_underscore

Just a fellow Roon user.

I can concur.

Just tested.

Tidal, track to track in the same album has the same volume levelling.

Qobuz plays at different levels accordingly.

@support any news on this bug?

Hi everyone,

The volume normalization in Roon is something that our streaming service partners encode themselves at our request. Roon is just accessing the data available for their version of the track. Tidal often encodes entire albums at the same level - Roon can’t insert unique normalization data for each track if it doesn’t exist.

We’ll investigate this particular instance to confirm Roon isn’t mishandling volume. Please provide us with an example of a track transition (two tracks total) in Tidal that gives an unpleasant volume jump, and let us know the approximate date/time that you played these tracks.

If an entire album is normalized together without track-level data, please share the album name. If there’s something incorrect, we will notify Tidal ourselves. If Roon is mishandling volume, we’ll be able to identify the failure in diagnostics.

Thank you very much for your reply and the given information. After further investigation it was clear that this comes from Tidal not from Roon and so will maybe never be fixed.

My statement, that every track in a Tidal album has the same level information was wrong, it differs from track to track too, but just with a minimal amount, not representing the volume difference correctly.

As an example in Tidal on this album title 5 has a normalization level of -0.5db and title 6 has a level of -1.0db. All tracks on the album are different, but between those two levels.

With Qobuz the same album has +5.6db on title 5, and +0.1db on title 6, representing the volume difference much better. And Qobuz is at max volume track always a bit louder than Tidal by the way.

When playing the whole album, for sure album normalization will give the result the musicians/sound engineers did intend, but with playlists track normalization is a perfect thing. How great that Roon can both, automatically.

So I now decided to cancel the Tidal subscription, forgetting about Soundiiz and playing those Spotify friends playlists just with Spotify App, with no missing tracks. And will start to share my Roon playlists with Roon friends over Qobuz:)

Hi @Joe_underscore,

We’re working to iron out all volume normalization difficulties with our partners - Roon users should have the listening experience they deserve.

Thank you for the report and your feedback.

1 Like