Noisy NUC8i5BEH + SOtM tX-USBhubEX

Hi all
I have the roon ROCK running on a fanless NUC8i5BEH , the port usb is noisy and when I put my ear next to speakers I can here the background noise and sometimes I can here the Samsung 970 EVO SSD activity that make noise , if I use a SOtM tX-USBhubE or ultra one between nuc and Dac , Do I get ride of these noises(the nasty one is the SSD activity that make noise) ?
I’m planning to use a linear PSU for nuc if I can get ride of these noises
Would you please share your thoughts and experiences with Sotm -usbhub or ultra one ?

Thanks
Cheers

My suggestion would be to separate the NUC from the DAC using ethernet and not have anything directly connected to the server via USB. Ethernet provides galvanic isolation.

The chain would look like NUC > ethernet > streamer (if necessary) > connection (Toslink, Coax, USB?) > DAC. The streamer is not necessary if you are using a Roon Ready DAC which accepts an ethernet IN. Otherwise, choose the streamer based on the connection needed on the DAC side. Streamer suggestions would vary depending upon connection desired.

Consequently, no need for a linear power supply, so @Behzad_Rahimi, spend your money on a streamer instead.

You could also try an intona usb isolator.

It fixed a similar issue for me on unbalanced outputs on an RME Dac (and was recommended by the founder of RME).

It can help if the DAC doesn’t have galvanic isolation.

2 Likes

If you get a streamer as suggested, try to move the NUC away from your whole audio setup.

As others said, a separate streamer connected to the NUC via ethernet is the first choice. But if that is not possible, here are some interesting measurements on what an Intona isolator can do.

I have the same NUC and two DACs, both connected to USB. I never had the problem reported by you.
What DAC are you using?

I’m using two DACs , chord Qutest and Marantz HD , you should keep your ear next to the speaker to hear the noise

The noise source is probably elsewhere the audio chain. The Qutest uses RF-based galvanic isolation.

I’ve experienced this very same issue, and tried different solutions to ‘tame’ the inherently noisy USB output on the NUC.

Solution? I bought a SOtM sMS-200 Neo Mini SE (a standard version is also available), and configured it thus…

NUC > RJ45 > Network Switch/Router > RJ45 > sMS-200 > USB > Headphone Amp/DAC.

Result? No unwanted noise, whatsoever.